Hacking Black screen after RedNAND update (Using Luma3DS)

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
So, I was following Pialects guide.
And at part 3, step 27 (https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-3-(RedNAND))it tells you to update your RedNAND.

However, after updating: When I start Luma3DS from my homebrew launcher it goes to the little screen that says "Starting Home menu...". And then it goes to a black screen.

Did I do anything wrong? Is the latest version maybe not supported yet or something?

Demnyx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What version of luma are you using ? Don't use a " dev " version

If doesnt work , try with another version of luma

wiiando

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Missing firmware.bin from the luma folder in the root of your SD card

Use the latest version and place firmware.bin in the luma folder

firmware.bin from NTR is here https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Installation-and-Upgrade

Even though luma says it doesn't need firmware.bin anymore, I couldn't get it to boot after updating rednand, until I placed the firmware.bin in the luma folder

Or i'm wrong seeing as you see part of the home menu.

Last edited by wiiando,

TechyTurtle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reinstall emumand I know this sounds stupid but if sysnand is at 9.2 rerun sysupdater to refresh the 9.2 firm then use emunand9 again the put rednand

Wabsta

OP
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Reinstall emumand I know this sounds stupid but if sysnand is at 9.2 rerun sysupdater to refresh the 9.2 firm then use emunand9 again the put rednand
Tried restoring the backup of my SysNAND to RedNAND and updating that again. Didn't work. (I'm on 9.0 btw)

Missing firmware.bin from the luma folder in the root of your SD card

Use the latest version and place firmware.bin in the luma folder

firmware.bin from NTR is here https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Installation-and-Upgrade

Even though luma says it doesn't need firmware.bin anymore, I couldn't get it to boot after updating rednand, until I placed the firmware.bin in the luma folder

Or i'm wrong seeing as you see part of the home menu.
Also did not do the trick.

Wabsta

OP
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Still nothing :( Weird thing is:
When I press the powerbutton, it goes to the sleeping screen.
And I can press the Home button when that happens. Then I get the "Home Menu" splash screen, but it doesn't get past that.

sweis12

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Reformat sysnand. The nands are still linked and on different firmware versions. This happened to me before.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reformat sysnand. The nands are still linked and on different firmware versions. This happened to me before.
Doesn't the guide say to format sysNAND? Because if so that means OP is not fully reading the guide, and if that is true they should try to actually read everything else they risk brick. I haven't read the guide lately to see what has changed, but I do know when I did it I never had this issue because the guide tells you to format sysNAND using TinyFormat

Wabsta

OP
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Try recreating rednand with emunand9 , then using LUMA 5.5 that i linked , update it
Cheers man, all fresh SysNAND -> EmuNAND worked like a charm.

What I tried before was: recreate it by injecting my old sysnand backup to RedNAND. That gave me the same result.

Doesn't the guide say to format sysNAND? Because if so that means OP is not fully reading the guide, and if that is true they should try to actually read everything else they risk brick. I haven't read the guide lately to see what has changed, but I do know when I did it I never had this issue because the guide tells you to format sysNAND using TinyFormat
I did read it, and I did format, but it did not mather.

Anyway, I got it working and I can continue the rest of the guide.

Thanks for the help!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Many such cases.