Black Ops' story is 'complex,' but not confusing

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by soulx, Aug 21, 2010.

Aug 21, 2010
  1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    [​IMG]

A game's story can make or break it. Shooters are so common that it usually takes an above-average story to elevate one into the upper echelon of the genre. For me, that was the main factor that distinguished Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 -- Infinity Ward developed both games, but the plot in the latter game was disjointed and incredulous enough to make me wish I were playing the first game's campaign again instead.

Treyarch is billing Call of Duty: Black Ops as having an "incredible narrative"; when I spoke with community manager Josh Olin at a press event earlier this month, he told me that the studio had put "a huge, enormous focus on telling a great story with this game." So I brought up Modern Warfare 2, noting that I didn't enjoy its campaign nearly as much as the single-player of Call of Duty 4 -- and Olin knew exactly where I was going, even interrupting me when I was searching for a word to describe MW2's campaign to suggest the term "disconnected." He felt the same way I did, and he had a guess as to why the game turned out like that:

I'm on the development side of things, so [...] my opinion of it is that it seems like they cut a little too much. You know, maybe they had some levels that just weren't quite finished, so they had to cut them, or something. Maybe their cutscenes didn't have enough explanation or setup.
    He went on to draw a contrast between MW2 and Black Ops, explaining that while the story is certainly complicated, "we walk that fine line between 'complex' and 'confusing'. And I'm pretty sure we stay back on that 'complex' side of the line; we never get to the 'confusing' side." Olin also mentioned that he found some plot holes in MW2, and told me that at the worst, gamers who find that they don't know what's going on in Black Ops will be able to figure it out by the end of the game.

"I can't describe enough how much effort we put behind our story, and our character development, and our plot. It's really, really good. I'm stoked," he said with a grin. Decide for yourself if he's right when Call of Duty: Black Ops launches on November 9, 2010, for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC, and Wii.[/p]
    [​IMG] Source

Call of Duty with a complex story. That's hard to imagine.

2. ball2012003

ball2012003 Newbie

Thats cool but all I really care about is the gameplay.

3. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    True, I still don't get why shooters need stories, it's all about the gameplay anyway.

4. ThatDudeWithTheFood

Member ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

United States
    MW2 Story was horrible I got it cause I thought it was gonna be as awesome as the first story nu uh

5. Raiser

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    Opinion respected, but what was so bad about it?
    I found their (MW & MW2) stories to be the best I've ever seen in a FPS. They're both pretty much the same.
    It had an awesome plot twist as well:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

On the whole 'complex' thing... not comparable to Kingdom Hearts or Zelda. ;p

6. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
    I quite liked the story in MW2... [​IMG] I'd like a more complex story actually!

7. Zerousen

Member Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

United States
    I also really liked the first 2 MW's, but I can't wait for Black Ops :DDD

8. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    Hmm...Story. It doesn't really matter to me for shooters. I mostly play online anyway.

9. ball2012003

ball2012003 Newbie

What was so bad about it? The game seemed just fine to me.

10. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    I'm glad it's complex, then it won't be boring. Also shooters like this NEED a story for the campaign otherwise you'd be dropped into missions without a reason or motive.
    I usually play online but I enjoy the story a lot more than the multiplayer because it's engaging. Also I'm not in the league of most players [​IMG] I get pwned a lot.

11. Aman27deep

Member Aman27deep GBAtemp Fan

India
    MW2's story was a bit confusing, thats all to be honest,

but nevertheless, the best story i've ever seen in a shooter are undoubtedly Call of Juarez and Max Payne hands down. ^^

12. Wii_Manic

Member Wii_Manic GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I'm all for more FPS to have more complex stories.
    Games that just tell you to go here and kill everyone and then go there and kill everyone get boring.
    I like to know who I'm killing and why [​IMG]

13. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    People don't play CoD for single player, trust me. You get maybe a six hour single player that you'll play once or twice. The stories are still average in comparison to single player focused games. From character development to complexity it won't be much competition with a good single player minded game.