Hacking Black and White

dupowdis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I have a No More Heroes ISO, and it was PAL but I patched it to NTSC. When I play it in the backup lanucher .3 it plays, but everything is all fuzzy black and white. Any way to make it display in color and not be all distorted? Thanks,

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back when I used dvd-r backups, I would consult a region-patcher compatibility wiki, which is now very outdated. On some games, no matter how you patch with RegionFrii or WiiFrii, something within the game's coding would not allow for a successful patch. Lego Star Wars, and Lego Indiana Jones (both Pal), don't patch correctly for use on a NTSC Wii. Some Pal games like Professor Heinz Wolff's Gravity won't work on NTSC no matter what method you try.

You can try to force NTSC in the loader, but if you don't use component cables to output 480p to your tv, Pal games are going to display in Black & White. I can only recommend using the NTSC version of No More Heroes, not only because it will play in color on your tv, but because the Pal version is censored, and you don't get the blood fountains with every slash.

Bottom Line: Try to ONLY use your region for backups when possible.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Backup launcher .3? Try NeoGamma rev7. Or just use a traditionally NTSC iso. If you can find a PAL version you can find a NTSC version. Also, I think some of the blood was censored for the PAL version.

As for the cables, I don't think so. It'd be better to just use a NTSC iso. Worse comes to worse, the game is $20 and is awesome.

dupowdis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok ill try neogamma 7.
but i really want those component cables anyway, so I'll probally end up getting them. it would be good if they worked. I wonder why it would solve the problem in the first place though.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Isn't the PAL version of the game castrated?

dsfanatic5 said:
Back when I used dvd-r backups, I would consult a region-patcher compatibility wiki, which is now very outdated. On some games, no matter how you patch with RegionFrii or WiiFrii, something within the game's coding would not allow for a successful patch. Lego Star Wars, and Lego Indiana Jones (both Pal), don't patch correctly for use on a NTSC Wii. Some Pal games like Professor Heinz Wolff's Gravity won't work on NTSC no matter what method you try.

You can try to force NTSC in the loader, but if you don't use component cables to output 480p to your tv, Pal games are going to display in Black & White. I can only recommend using the NTSC version of No More Heroes, not only because it will play in color on your tv, but because the Pal version is censored, and you don't get the blood fountains with every slash.

1. Region patchers are fail. Some more, some less.
2. When using a loader ALL games that work on a Wii from the same region, work on the other Wiis too. Just maybe only in their video mode, which results in wrong colors with a bad tv or a rgb cable(that one is PAL only).
3. NeoGamma allows you to force video modes, which helps with 50% of games with color issues, and it allows you to patch video modes, which helps on 50% of the remaining games.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
Isn't the PAL version of the game castrated?

dsfanatic5 said:

1. Region patchers are fail. Some more, some less.
2. When using a loader ALL games that work on a Wii from the same region, work on the other Wiis too. Just maybe only in their video mode, which results in wrong colors with a bad tv or a rgb cable(that one is PAL only).
3. NeoGamma allows you to force video modes, which helps with 50% of games with color issues, and it allows you to patch video modes, which helps on 50% of the remaining games.
I did say the Pal version was censored, but you could use the term castrated. The NTSC version is very bloody.

As for the patching in NeoGamma, thanks for the info because I wasn't aware of this. I've always used component cables, so I never noticed any problems with Pal games. It wasn't until my Brother asked me why his backups were in black & white, that I realized there was a problem. I simply don't use Pal anymore, unless the game will never be released in my region.

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dsfanatic5 said:
As for the patching in NeoGamma, thanks for the info because I wasn't aware of this. I've always used component cables, so I never noticed any problems with Pal games. It wasn't until my Brother asked me why his backups were in black & white, that I realized there was a problem. I simply don't use Pal anymore, unless the game will never be released in my region.

The majority of PAL games have NTSC video code on the disc and can be forced to NTSC in your loader of choice with no problem, and will work on any NTSC television (including standard CRT sets). There are some, however, that do NOT contain other-region video code, and cannot be forced. With those, you'll generally lock on a green screen. When this first started happening, rumors started flying that Nintendo was forcing developers to stop including other-region video code on-disc to prevent piracy/importing. This is clearly not the case, as the vast majority of even the newest games (including those released by Nintendo themselves) still contain the code.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1