Gaming Big name games that really aren't that great

Bleedingelite

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After playing Spirit Tracks, I realized that the game just isn't that good. I mean, it's not BAD, but it's not great. But people are talking about it like it's the best game of the year, which is ridiculous. IGN will probably give it an 8.5 or a 9.5, and the game is a 7 at best.

It makes me kind of mad, not REALLY mad mind you, that we get these mediocre games and treat them like gaming gold just because they're made by a certain developer or carry a certain name on them.

Now, I know it's all opinion, but I'm going to express mine right now. Spirit Tracks isn't that good. The controls are a little weird, it's short, it gets irritating in a lot of places, it feels gimmicky. A Link to the Past was a good Zelda game. It was amazingly good. And it came out over a decade ago. Why are we okay with them giving us spirit tracks when they could have given us something of ALttP quality?

Some other games pop into mind that suffer from this phenomenon too. Kingdom Hearts comes to mind. I see a lot of people claiming it's one of the best games of the year. I played that shit, and it wasn't very much fun at all. Incredibly tedious and dull. What if it didn't carry the Kingdom Hearts moniker? It would be a 7 at best. People would have completely forgotten about it now.

Alright, rant over. Thanks for reading.
Can you guys think of any other games that suffer from big name syndrome?

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
to cut it short & simple and prepared to be FLAMED
most of them would just say this game is GREAT because of the NAME/BRAND/PUBLISHER
some would even say this game will be the best when they yet to try the game

jakey103

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm gonna get flamed for this. I also think that spirit tracks isn't that great, but I don't like phantom hourglass either. I know that most people really like it, but I only really like wind waker.

BloodAdept

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel for you, there are so many games of that nature! But, well, as one of my professor always said "Everyone has an opinion, just like everyone has an ass."

Oh, and prepare to be flamed beyond belief. Also, while spirit tracks surprisingly didn't crash the servers... Your topic just might do that in response.

J

Jackreyes

You know what annoys me more than people flaming?
People saying 'Prepare to be flamed'... Theres no need for it.

But yeah, of course thats what will happen. People have spent their money on a Nintendo console, they'll realise it was a waste if they let themself realise that their games are only average.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What elixirdream said.
smile.gif

The new server's great, everything's finally going without 503s and 504s all over the place.

And (flameshield on) I haven't played any Zelda games (except the old NES one, and I just messed around a little), and I'm not really that interested in playing them.

Same goes for Pokemon.

BloodAdept

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ProtoKun7 said:
What elixirdream said.
smile.gif

The new server's great, everything's finally going without 503s and 504s all over the place.

And (flameshield on) I haven't played any Zelda games (except the old NES one, and I just messed around a little), and I'm not really that interested in playing them.

Same goes for Pokemon.

That's interesting, i wasn't aware that Pokemon had games released on the old NES consoles.

We didn't start the flame war!

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Different strokes for different folks. I didn't like GTA:CW. I'm sure everyone's got a popular game which got great reviews that they just didn't 'get', it's not exactly a unique or controversial position. If you're starting the thread in the hope that people will either go crazy or flame you, be amazed at how you can go against popular opinion or congratulate you for being the person to see through the emperor's new clothes you may be disappointed.

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
BloodAdept said:
ProtoKun7 said:
What elixirdream said.
smile.gif

Same goes for Pokemon.

That's interesting, i wasn't aware that Pokemon had games released on the old NES consoles.

I knew that if I didn't clarify, someone would bring me up on that...
rolleyes.gif

I haven't played any Pokemon.

BloodAdept

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ProtoKun7 said:
BloodAdept said:
ProtoKun7 said:
What elixirdream said.
smile.gif

Same goes for Pokemon.

I knew that if I didn't clarify, someone would bring me up on that...
rolleyes.gif

I haven't played any Pokemon.

Actually i was originally going to pull of the flame war link, but I'm in a smart-alec mood today.

slaysme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
protokun, may i ask what you do play , and why the zelda boycott? Some of the are really great games(not so much the DS ones), and please don't throw them aside just because they're extremely popular. try link to the past, or maybe even start with one of the GB ones: Links awakening, oracle of seasons/ages. Might be missing something you like.

on topic. . . Spirit tracks....i'm playing it.....it's been WAY too easy so far. Train sequence is boring, doesn't feel like i'm exploring, a critical element of zelda, to me. I was mixed on PH, but that aspect was at least better in that game. reoccurring dungeon? Sucks. no heart pieces? sucks.

nintendo. ARRGH! Stop making so much money you don't need to make quality games. You anger me. Give Zelda back to capcom. At least for handheld zelda. good job on NSMBW btw.

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
slaysme said:
protokun, may i ask what you do play , and why the zelda boycott? Some of the are really great games(not so much the DS ones), and please don't throw them aside just because they're extremely popular. try link to the past, or maybe even start with one of the GB ones: Links awakening, oracle of seasons/ages. Might be missing something you like.
It varies...I like the Mario games (64DS, NSMB, etc.) and I want to get round to playing NSMBW and SMG, and I play other games, like racing/puzzles and others.

I wouldn't say I'm boycotting Zelda, I just never got round to trying them.
smile.gif

updowners

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this is the first zelda game that I've liked. Phantom Hourglass was boring but I'm finding Spirit Tracks to be much more fun.

kingkonghong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, the character models just piss me off so I wanted to break my copy of Phantom Hourglass, BUT because I loved "oracle of ages/seasons" (Personally, I think these are the best) I decided to give it a chance.

And what happened did you ask?

I get to ride on a ship, shoot the smallest enemies in the entire world that gives one rupee, pay ridiculous amounts of money for ship parts I never needed, fight bosses that did absolutely nothing. The story was worse than Pokemon to boot.

Well, maybe the competitive mini game of collecting force gems over wifi made the game a bit better! Nope. It was the most boring game anyone could think of. You pick up gems and put them on your square. wooooo.

Next, I decide to give spirit train a looksee, and so far, all the game is is Phantom Hourglass with trains instead of boats. Why not call it "Phantom Train?" I havent tried it yet, but after seeing some screen shots, I can tell that its the same old Phantom Hourglass I detest and hate. But with trains. Because that changes the entire aspect of the game. Right? /sarcasm

Honestly, regardless of what I said, I will give this game a try because of how much fun the oracle of seasons and ages were. However, I'm not getting my hopes up that riding a train instead of a boat will make this game any better.

EpicPie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really liked Phantom Hourglass but Spirit Tracks doesn't seem all that great to me from how far ive progressed so far in game.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok,no... Spirit Tracks is the best game to ever touch a DS,ever! Its long,adventurous,action packed! And yes,im talking about Spirit Tracks,not my dong. (Had to be done,even if it wasn't funny at all)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I call the one with big tiddies