Big External HDD Problem.

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by UnseenHero, Jul 30, 2011.

1. UnseenHero
    OP

UnseenHero The UnseenHero

Jul 16, 2009
    Canada
    At Home
    Hey guys,
    As the title suggests I have a problem with my External Hard drive. It is a 1TB WD Element with USB 2.0. It is like 7-8 months old and stopped working now. I recently (like 2 days ago) got back from vacation. I was in Portugal and stored all my videos and pictures onto it. I didn't test it the first day I got back so I don't know if the plain ride screwed it up, but this HDD has many memories more than just those of Porutgal.
    Anyways here is the problem. When I insert the USB into my laptop, the HDD lights up like usually and I hear it spinning. But when I go to my computer it isn't there. I tried it with my wii to play my games and it didn't work. Then tried with my desktop and same problem as my laptop. Someone suggested using a different lead so I found one and same Problem. So is my HDD screwed? or is there a way I can make it work or at least save the memories of all the vacations?

Thanks for reading.

2. Panzer Tacticer

Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Apr 13, 2008
    Canada
    Right Here
    Might be a connection.

I had an external die, admittedly a dropped the damned thing. But the thing is, travel is 'bumpy'.

If the data truly is valuable, enough to pay, go to a REAL computer store, ask them to look it over. Remember I said a real store like Canada Computers for instance, not a big box retail chain. If it takes you an 80 dollar an hour fee, you deal with it.

3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Try uninstalling then reinstalling the drivers, this happened to me with an external HDD. If that doesn't work than it is a bad connection. I'd go with what Panzer said and just take it to a computer store.

4. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    It's either a problem with the connection (HDD to enclosure, enclosure to USB) or a problem with the drive itself. You can test the connection either by getting a new enclosure, or by plugging the HDD directly into a desktop computer (converting it into an internal drive). If that doesn't work, the HDD is most likely screwed.

This is probably also the kind of test computer shops do - taking the HDD out of its enclosure and connecting it to a computer (or another enclosure, or even a drive dock) in order to see if it can be accessed.