Big ass shock

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by dudenator, May 9, 2011.

May 9, 2011

Big ass shock by dudenator at 2:30 AM (1,425 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

  1. dudenator
    OP

    Member dudenator King of the Carts

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2009
    Messages:
    471
    Location:
    Alberta
    Country:
    Canada
    I took apart a camera today and I was trying to fix it. I had to turn it on to test it so I put batteries in it and flicked it on. Then I got a big shock that seemed to pass through both my arms. I immediately threw the camera down and started walking around. Now my arms feel tingly and my chest kinda hurts (could be psychological). I know it was very stupid and I'll never do it again but could the shock have caused some damage? I'm half an hour away from the hospital and I kinda want to avoid going if at all possible so should I be worried?
     
  2. Selim873

    Member Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2010
    Messages:
    1,132
    Location:
    Chillin' with Bob Ross
    Country:
    United States
    I've had a shock almost just like that. I was plugging in a coaxial cable after a shower. [​IMG]

    You'll be fine. [​IMG]
     
  3. Edgedancer

    Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2006
    Messages:
    2,641
    Location:
    Canberra
    Country:
    Australia
    I came into this topic expecting something entirely different...

    On topic though: You should be fine. The electricity passed through your body and the voltage from an average battery like those you put in camera woudl not be strong enough to do any serious damage.
     
  4. mywiistuff

    Newcomer mywiistuff Newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2009
    Messages:
    4
    Country:
    United States
    Dude, i had the same thing happen to me about 2 months ago. Was taking apart my little, teeny Cannon because it broke, and, like a lot of people omn these forums, the itch to tear it apart was too much. I'm still alive... so...

    Beware though, when I took out the batteries, it still shocked me (yes, twice) [​IMG]

    Of course, if I hear something happened to you after I said I was fine, I would probably kill myself with guilt...
     
  5. Linkiboy

    Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

    Joined:
    May 14, 2006
    Messages:
    4,888
    Country:
    United States
    You got shocked with the capacitor of the flash, which can be potentially lethal. Disposable cameras discharge pulses of 500 vdc at 120 amps while professional cameras can discharge 1250 vdc @ 1kA... though that would be enough to fracture your bones.
     
  6. dudenator
    OP

    Member dudenator King of the Carts

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2009
    Messages:
    471
    Location:
    Alberta
    Country:
    Canada
    But I'm still alive, does that mean I should be fine, cause if I should go to the doctor I'm gonna have to do it now.
     
  7. Linkiboy

    Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

    Joined:
    May 14, 2006
    Messages:
    4,888
    Country:
    United States
    I think you'll be fine if you haven't had previous heart conditions...but your call.
     
  8. ShadowSoldier

    Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2009
    Messages:
    9,383
    Country:
    Canada
    You're fine. You're worrying too much about it.

    At the school I went to, there was a parking lot light that didn't work right. And when you touched it, you would get a huge ass shock that would pretty much drop you to your knees. We would touch that all the time. You're fine.
     
  9. 8BitWalugi

    Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2008
    Messages:
    3,271
    Location:
    Side 7
    Country:
    Australia
    Same. One of my friends just made me go to Brosef Stalin. [​IMG]
     

Share This Page