Hacking Best way to go?

THall6594

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have a 3.2U softmodded wii. I would like to update to 4.0U so I can have the SD channel. I modded this Wii a long time ago with the Twilight Hack, and now want to update it so I can play ISO's off of my hdd and such. Can someone point me in the best direction from here please. I have the HBC and everything already installed from over two years ago. Thanks!

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know there was a 4.0 updater, i think it was called waninkoko's 4.0 updater, i used that at least 10 times and it never failed me. It updates your firmware to 4.0 without removing the hack and i think it even kept the trucha bug (someone else correct me if i'm wrong) just search a tutorial on how to use it

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm pretty sure that preloader is removed, not too sure about bootmii though... either way, you can always install both afterward

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
metamaster said:
I tried updating with it before and i didn't get a brick, and as i said, i tried multiple times
It's still not recommended. Two people against one. Majority wins!

If you want an easy updater, there's an App called "Safe 4.2 Updater" or something like that somewhere here. NUSAD would also be a good option. I, for my part would use DOP-Mii, though it's maybe too advanced for you...

Basicly the summary of this post is: I agree with DeadlyFoez
smile.gif

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know, i'm not debating here, and i agree with the second solution, i just don't see how waninkoko's updater could cause a brick

THall6594

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
transam81 said:
all too easy use NUS Auto Downloader it lets you select which firmware version you want to be on and make a detailed guide for you to use
http://tinyurl.com/nusauto

I'm thinking of using this to go to 4.2. Will it work ok if I have all this other stuff setup on it, and will I need to reinstall the BootMii? I read that 4.2 overwrites the Boot2 or something that stops BootMii from working.

THall6594

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, I really don't know anything about the IOS's anymore. I haven't really done anything to my Wii since the Twilight hack a few years ago.

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well i didn't brick my wii in such a long time, had no idea that the updater downloads a stub (i only use it when i brick) sorry if i caused any trouble

transam81

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the nus auto downloader takes all the guess work out of softmodding. like i stated before it will guide you through the process.
as long as you follow the guide you will be safe from bricking your console. oh yeah there is a video tutorial so you can see it done before you even make the first change yourself

THall6594

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
transam81 said:
the nus auto downloader takes all the guess work out of softmodding. like i stated before it will guide you through the process.
as long as you follow the guide you will be safe from bricking your console. oh yeah there is a video tutorial so you can see it done before you even make the first change yourself

Does it work with Windows 7? When I get to the part where it asks where to save the files it crashes...

transam81

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
alright sorryi took so long but i went to run nusautodownloader on or windows7 pc.
yeah the fix for me was to right click nusautodownloader.exe run in windows vista sp2 compatibility and as an extra measure i ran it as administrator.
that fix the problem up

THall6594

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
transam81 said:
alright sorryi took so long but i went to run nusautodownloader on or windows7 pc.
yeah the fix for me was to right click nusautodownloader.exe run in windows vista sp2 compatibility and as an extra measure i ran it as administrator.
that fix the problem up

Thanks dude! Got the program working, all the files are on my SD card. Making my NAND backup then I'm give this a try!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1