Best Streaming box for emulation?

Discussion in 'Android' started by kenenthk, Jun 21, 2013.

1. kenenthk
    OP

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    Apologize if this isn't the correct board not sure where I should of posted this within the forums anywho...

I'm looking for a streaming box that has Google's Play store on it so I can download Roms and apps and be able to emulate devices, I don't think there's one out there powerful enough for PS1 emulation.

I'd also like it to be small fit in the palm of my hand sort of thing, I've looked at Ouya, Asus cube, and Vizio Co Star and everyone is calling them crap.

Please don't suggest that I just get a tablet or phone and hook it up to my TV that's not what I'm after I'm just after something that's under $100, will emulate well (gba gbc snes nes ps1 etc..) and stream nearly every video files there is out there.

Thanks for the suggestions gbatemp :)

2. Xuphor

Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

Banned
    Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    While I can't provide any examples, I know that there will be some that can run PS1 and even N64 games near perfectly. I know someone RL that has the kind of thing that you're looking for that does have the ability to play those with great ease. The problem is I do not know it's name or what it's price was. Next time I'm over there (maybe middle of next week), I'll let you know here.

3. kenenthk
    OP

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    Would appreciate it, I'm debating on picking the Ouya up when it hits stores

4. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Ouya is probably your best bet. Although, I'd go for a small, but powerful HTPC, but you're looking for something with Google Play. I've heard terrible things about the Asus Cube.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  5. kenenthk
    OP

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    Not so much Google play but I'd assume it's the only way I could load APKs and emulators; guessing Android devices hast to have gp.

6. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    I know it's not the tiniest/cheapest solution... but maybe you find this interesting

7. WatchGintama

WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
  8. kenenthk
    OP

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    What type of controllers can be paired with it bluetooth only?

9. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Ouya. It doesn't have Google Play BUT you can side load most apps from Google Play.

10. kenenthk
    OP

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    I heard of that hoping someone can root Jellybean to it.

11. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    There is at least one emulator for Android games out there, called Bluestacks. I downloaded and installed it, but I never really got around to fiddling with it. You may wanna check it out.

12. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA

Last I checked, the Ouya is already running Jellybean (4.1 not 4.2)

13. kenenthk
    OP

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    Kind of dumb they couldn't have just put the PlayStore but I Guess they wanted more money with their own app store.
    I wonder if it'd be possible to use a IR blaster on it to turn it on with a remote?

I'm not really looking for something to play just games something to serve as a small media server also and all the ones listed crash if they try to run any sort of emulation. And since you can install xbmc on it it would be a plus.

Just looking for something small that would permanently sit under my tv and something that can run a few roms.

14. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    To be fair at least it means that you won't be dowloading app after app wondering if it works without a touchscreen.

Can't you sildeload google play onto Ouya?

15. kenenthk
    OP

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    This is true, I wonder if i Could just open it in a link to google play store and download to the device directly.

16. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    I wouldn't think so. I'd imagine the service that interfaces between the device and the web server is part of the market (google Play) package