Best SNES ac adapter? (3rd Party)

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by NerdJeebus, Oct 1, 2015.

1. NerdJeebus
    OP

NerdJeebus Member

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2015
    United States
    I've recently bought a snes mini but its missing the ac adapter. On amazon there are a lot of cheap ones, but I don't know which one would work best. Any recommendations?

2. edracon

edracon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2008
    United States
    I would HIGHLY recommend getting a first party adapter. most of the third party ones have issues, either too much or too little voltage even if the label says it's prefect. I went through three different third party ones for my SNES, and they all didn't work right causing visual glitches (wrong colors/shifting colors). Once I got a first party nintendo one, everything worked perfectly. So no, there are no good or perfect third party ones, unless you're really lucky and got one that's built decently.

cvskid, Catastrophic and SmileCitrus like this.
  3. SmileCitrus

SmileCitrus GBAtemp Regular

Mar 29, 2009
    United States
    I second everything edracon says and would also add that, in addition to those serious video problems they can cause, the third party AC adapters tend to have really thin wires, too. So they can break at stress points or when bent very easily. Just plugging and unplugging them from your console too many times can cause enough stress for the more poorly-made ones to break. You end up having to replace them so often that you don't save any money in the end over buying just one OEM one that'll last forever.

4. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    You just can't trust 3rd party console peripherals. I once had a 3rd party AC adapter for Gamecube and for some odd reason it would create a huge amount of noise in the audio. Let's not get started on 3rd party controllers.

SmileCitrus likes this.
  5. Drud1995

Drud1995 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    United States
    Magicant
  6. edracon

edracon Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2008
    United States
  7. Drud1995

Drud1995 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    United States
    Magicant
    If you do manage to get a bad one from an eBay seller, you can always get them to send you another. Sellers will do almost anything to avoid negative feedback!

8. PhyChris

PhyChris GBAtemp Regular

May 6, 2009
    Canada
    If you don't mind a little modding you can install an internal 5v PSU (a 5v cellphone/tablet charger will do)

9. Chickenhunterx

Chickenhunterx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2015
    Canada
  10. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    I must be very lucky then since i have 2 of those, 1 for my nes model 1 and 1 for my snes model 1 and they both work fine. Want to get first party plugs eventually though.