Best PSX emulation for low money

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Classicgamer, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Classicgamer
    OP

Classicgamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2012
    United States
    I have a friend who has no PC and very little money but wants to play PSX titles. I'd like whatever routes are possible to include scanlines as the main "shader" effect. The emulation can't be crap. I know mednafen and psx (on pc) are really good.

He needs to play on a tv.

Does a raspberry pie 3 meet these requirements? (Retroarch?)

Wii? (Wiisx?)

Can you give me advice about rasp pie 3 and wiisx performance? Other options?

2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Wii, no, Raspberry Pi 3 is far more powerful and better for PSX emulation; the Wii is pretty weak.

slaphappygamer and Classicgamer like this.
  3. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I would rule out wiisx. While some games really do work flawless, it can be a hassle to set up properly. The compatibility list sort of speaks for itself: https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/WiiSX_compatibility_list_(beta_2)

Is it an option to go with a hacked psp? It can probably be bought for the same budget as awii, and has less issues (and better controls, unless the Wii has a classic controller with it).

Finally: how about just getting a budget pc? Like... Recycling it from someone he knows that recently upgraded to a new rig?

Classicgamer likes this.
  4. RitchieRitchie

RitchieRitchie GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 15, 2013
    ps vita plays psx games really well.

TheVinAnator and Classicgamer like this.
  5. Classicgamer
    OP

Aug 20, 2012
    United States
    Thanks for the tips! He doesn't want hand helds. I suggested it already- I like my eboots personally too.

He has a $18/hr job with car payments and house payments so a vita is likely too much?

A rasp pie 3 seems to be $35 (or $60 as a complete kit with box and cables) which seems to be the route for reliable emulation?

6. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Pi 3 £35.

PS2 £20 (secondhand)

?

7. laudern

laudern GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2010
    Australia
    Queensland, Australia
    Just last night I soft modded my ps2 to play ps2 roms. I imagine that it can also play psx roms.

julialy and Classicgamer like this.
  8. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    It can indeed.

julialy and Classicgamer like this.
  9. Classicgamer
    OP

Aug 20, 2012
    United States
    Seriously??? Is that using a USB hdd or cd-r?

10. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Isn't it kind of a pain setting that up?

julialy and slaphappygamer like this.
  11. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Super easy, freemcboot>the launcher of your choice. Internal hdd recommended.

12. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    California
    I couldn't get psxlauncher working either. The other one that you need to convert to vcd also didn't work. Such a pain in the ass. I'd say a pi would be the best option. You probably won't even need the pi3, an earlier model may do just as well.

Classicgamer likes this.
  13. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Despite the psp being a handheld, a 2000 psp model on up can be connected to a tv with component cables so you can play it on a bigger screen. At that point it will feel like you are just using a controller since you are looking at a tv the whole time. He probably might not have known that before you suggested handhelds to him.

Last edited by cvskid, Sep 10, 2017
    invaderyoyo likes this.
  14. DrGreed

DrGreed Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2016
    United States
    RaspberryPi3 is great for PS1 and other Emulation. I put my RP3 in a PS1 shell. Like this video. It was a fun project.

Classicgamer likes this.
  15. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    On the Vita front, PSTVs are fairly cheap (you can usually find one for like $50 or so) and extremely easy to setup Adrenaline for PS1 games, but there are some compatibility issues and a lack of proper POPS support.

The Raspberry Pi 3 is a good choice, but some "heavier" impact games can be a bit laggy, but those are pretty few. Setup is pretty straightforward, though if you don't know anything about computers it might be a bit "out there" for some people. I think adding shaders like scanlines also cause a performance hit as well, though I don't know by how much.

An Android TV box would also suffice, ePSXe works pretty great and it's super easy to setup, just install the APK and pop the BIOS and games onto it. You can find cheapo Android TV boxes most anywhere that are more powerful than a Pi.

A PS2 would also work, but I have heard PSXLauncher has some compatibility issues occasionally as well (and the PS2 doesn't like a few PS1 games, though I dunno if backup loading fixes them :unsure:).

Then of course you could always just get him a PS1 and teach him the swap trick, it's pretty simple.

DarthDub and Classicgamer like this.
  16. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Hmm, we have an original PS2 that our brother gave us, still kinda works, but how do you actually install FreeMCboot? And I'd imagine PS2 HDDs are kinda pricey no?

17. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    There are a number of ways. I installed freeMCboot with a copy of 007 and a disc swap method. There's a guide on how to install it as well as some pretty decent YouTube videos.
    There's a GBATEMP guide as well, I followed it years ago when I did it.

Classicgamer and the_randomizer like this.
  18. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    The PSP go can hook up to your TV and has bluetooth so you can use a PS3 controller. On top of that, you can even hook it up to a CRT and it will actually output 240p.

Classicgamer and cvskid like this.
  19. MrCatFace

MrCatFace GBAtemp Regular

Jun 3, 2017
    Home (Is where the heart is, so my chest?)
    I use a PSX emu on my n3DS. Work with what you got.

20. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    Don't know about the rest of the world but here in Scotland a second hand wii from most game shops will cost you about 7 to 10 pounds a psp will cost from 40 to 70 pounds depending on the model hardly in the same budget like you claim.