Hacking Best option for a never updated 3ds?

Skyhigh_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an original 3ds its never been updated, it is running version 1.0

I have a sky3ds but i also wanted to try out what i could do on a system where i am put something like CFW.

I have a 3ds game that has a 4.5 update if i need it.

Should i update to 4.5 via cart?

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an original 3ds its never been updated, it is running version 1.0

I have a sky3ds but i also wanted to try out what i could do on a system where i am put something like CFW.

I have a 3ds game that has a 4.5 update if i need it.

Should i update to 4.5 via cart?
Dont update yet one sec I think people are looking for a 1.0 Nand dump

Reactions: HaloEffect17

Skyhigh_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update to 4.5 with a cart and buy a Gateway. To run CFW, you need Cubic Ninja, which at the minute doesn't cost much less than a Gateway and can't do as much.

Maybe i might be misinformed but whats the point of running CFW and having to purchase a gateway? If i purchase a gateway CFW would be pointless then?

Also i glimpse at some topics and it seems i might not even need cubic ninja at all to run cfw?

xBleedingSoulx

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe i might be misinformed but whats the point of running CFW and having to purchase a gateway? If i purchase a gateway CFW would be pointless then?

Also i glimpse at some topics and it seems i might not even need cubic ninja at all to run cfw?

Well, Gateway can do everything CFW can do and more, atm and If in the future a CFW has something Gateway can't do, the CFW can always be ran through Gateway using a Cubic Ninja rom. There's a release coming by Smealum soon that will allow running the Homebrew Launcher via an Eshop game demo, which should allow for launching CFW but it's not out yet.

Skyhigh_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any recommendations on what do to do ( seeing as these topics usually have mixed replies )? I do not feel like buying cubic ninja nor do i feel like purchasing a gateway 3ds

I can gladly dump my 1.0 nand if someone advises me on how to do so

Reactions: HaloEffect17

xBleedingSoulx

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Jao Chu

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
+1 idea of updating to 4.5 with a legitimate game cartridge. But anywhere from 4.1-4.5 will be sufficient.

You might already have one, check here

If your budget allows it, purchase Gateway 3DS for convenience factor.

If you want to go the free route, rxTools CFW with sigs patch. Be warned though, it's a lot more complex than the noob friendly gateway.

Skyhigh_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
+1 idea of updating to 4.5 with a legitimate game cartridge. But anywhere from 4.1-4.5 will be sufficient.

You might already have one, check here

If your budget allows it, purchase Gateway 3DS for convenience factor.

If you want to go the free route, rxTools CFW with sigs patch. Be warned though, it's a lot more complex than the noob friendly gateway.

I already have a 4.5 3ds game its turbo 3ds i bought it for a $1 from a yard sale like 3 weeks ago.

How much more complex is rxtools cfw with sigs instead of ''noob friendly'' gateway? Complexion doesn't bother me too much its just that i am lazy about it sometimes

Jao Chu

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I already have a 4.5 3ds game its turbo 3ds i bought it for a $1 from a yard sale like 3 weeks ago.

How much more complex is rxtools cfw with sigs instead of ''noob friendly'' gateway? Complexion doesn't bother me too much its just that i am lazy about it sometimes

I have rxTools and Gateway on one 3DS XL so I'll give you my assessment of the situation.

3DS roms are scene released as .3DS files and are relatively easy to find on the interwebs. Gateway can run .3DS files, just unzip, copy to microSD and play. Minimum firmware requirements and region locking are not an issue. And generally Gateway team is very good with updates to allow access to eshop (O3DS only)

rxTools can not play .3DS files. A conversion to .CIA format is needed, which used to be a lengthy and difficult process, now it's not so bad providing you're pretty handy with a PC. rxTools once setup will allow you to install .CIA games.

But if the CIA files are out of region, they won't show up in your home menu and you must use FBi homebrew app to launch them (don't ever press the home button with games launched this way, your 3DS will freeze and you'll lose your progress)

It's possible to find games already constructed as .CIA files with region locking removed and decrypted to work on lower firmwares etc. from a place you will see people refer to as "that ISO site" but that will require you sign up to a forum.

Also you will be forced to download these CIAs from annoying filehosting websites that limit your gigantic 2-4 gigabyte CIA file download to 30kb/s while opening 7 trillion pop up ads. Ugh.

Not scared of the free route yet? Well, just wait until you see how long it takes to actually install these .CIA files! Even with a class 10 SD card inside your 3DS, you better pick up a good book, even better still, go and watch grass grow, it's faster than a CIA install!

I only use rxTools for playing GBA games, when I'm done with that, Gateway MSET gets reinstalled until next time i need to satisfy my GBA cravings.....

88exp88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally use rxtools and am a fan of it, the process isn't that bad and you don't have to pay for anything extra. There are many guides to install it, here is the one I personally used: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/
CIA files don't bother me much because you can always find the latest games in that format, and the installs are quick for smaller games. And I've never had an issue where I've had to launch games from anywhere but the home screen or have games freeze if they are out of region. I would highly recommend it if you decide to update. :yay:

Last edited by 88exp88,
Reactions: samiam144

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I can gladly dump my 1.0 nand if someone advises me on how to do so
Nand mod. Which entails opening up your system and soldering wires to certain test points and attaching them to an sd reader then attach that to a computer. Then you dump the emmc with windiskimager or equivalent. :mellow:

Sorry I even mentioned it. :P

Skyhigh_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally use rxtools and am a fan of it, the process isn't that bad and you don't have to pay for anything extra. There are many guides to install it, here is the one I personally used: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/
CIA files don't bother me much because you can always find the latest games in that format, and the installs are quick for smaller games. And I've never had an issue where I've had to launch games from anywhere but the home screen or have games freeze if they are out of region. I would highly recommend it if you decide to update. :yay:

On that link it says

4. Open your 3DS/2DS internet Browser and go to http://go.gateway-3ds.com/

Navigate to "backup system nand" and make your nand backup!!
Then turn off your 3DS and copy your nand.bin from the SD card to somewhere safe on your PC!

I cannot do this because i am in 1.0 and i have no browser on the 3ds system

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
On that link it says

Then turn off your 3DS and copy your nand.bin from the SD card to somewhere safe on your PC!

Here's the steps

1 grab keys or bus pass or put up your thumb and get over to gamestop

2 look for a used copy of skylanders or lungi mansion

3 ask them to test the game

4 test the game and tell them that it must be problem with the copy you have at home

5 send me an eatable arrangement for helping you

88exp88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On that link it says

You need to update to 4.x-9.2 in order to use that method.
There are games to update you to that firmware if you are interested in doing that. (Such as Skylanders or Luigi's mansion)

What I normally do is go down to Gamestop and get the game I need to update pre-owned, go home to update the system with the game. And then return it within 7 days for a full refund.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You don't have to buy anything to run rxTools on a 4.x 3DS!!! Look for the rxTools tutorial on gbatemp - there are specific instructions for people who don't have a flashcart or cubic ninja or gateway. It is a bit more complex but perfectly possible.

88exp88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't have to buy anything to run rxTools on a 4.x 3DS!!! Look for the rxTools tutorial on gbatemp - there are specific instructions for people who don't have a flashcart or cubic ninja or gateway. It is a bit more complex but perfectly possible.
He isn't on 4.X he's on 1.0, in order to run rxTools he has to update to at least 4.X using a game that comes with the update.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
He isn't on 4.X he's on 1.0, in order to run rxTools he has to update to at least 4.X using a game that comes with the update.
He said he has a game to update with.
Everybody else is telling him to buy a Gateway or Cubic Ninja when he doesn't have to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Purple_Heart was a SSD worth it? Did it make a significant diference?\