Best N64 emulator for PC?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by yokomoko, Nov 10, 2009.

Nov 10, 2009

Best N64 emulator for PC? by yokomoko at 7:54 AM (1,939 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. yokomoko
    OP

Newcomer yokomoko Advanced Member

United States
    Hi, could anybody tell me what is the best current N64 emulator for the PC? I'm going to get some new PC game pads so I thought I'd ask you guys what you think.

Thanks much.

2. updowners

Member updowners lurklurklurk

Australia
  3. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    Get pj64k if you want to play online. Or mupen. Popular games to play online for the n64 are ssb64, mario kart 64, and goldeneye 64.

4. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    Project64 or 1964

5. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    Project 64 1.7! Its insane,though of course you have to donate to there site to get it. (Or do you?)

6. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Oh you can get it various other ways too. [​IMG] Leeroy Jenkins himself has a working copy of 1.7 out there I've seen. [​IMG]

7. yokomoko
    OP

Newcomer yokomoko Advanced Member

United States
    Thanks for the tips everybody. I got Project 64 1.7 and it works GREAT! I hadn't kept up with the N64 emulation scene for the past 4 or so years, so I'm really impressed at how far it's come since then.

8. Gobnoblin

Member Gobnoblin GBAtemp Regular

Cambodia
    hey thanks for the info i just updated from wayyyyyyy olde skewl version lol

9. blackdragonbaham

Member blackdragonbaham GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    wtf 1.7 works? though it was just an uncomplete beta? cause' on my system its' unstable and crashes permanently:. but 1.6 is either well

10. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Nah it's real and it's pretty damn stable and does more than the 1.6 public release. I know it's supposed to be a pay beta, and usually I respect stuff like that, but that thing likely is dead. Even if it's not, you never see nor hear much out of them and it's like they're just stringing suckers along to get a few bucks for free to register for an old beta. I'd love to think they're still hard at work on it, but I mean think about when the last 1.7beta hit(that got made public) and the normal public 1.6.

11. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    PJ64 1.7 does have a few issues, for those who didn't pay for it and got that Leroy Jenkins version. The original leaked version wouldn't play Banjo Tooie thanks to copy protection they put in it. There was someone on youtube who posted a crack to fix that, but then that one broke Rayman 2 (which is at least on other systems though).

So yeah, don't expect it to work perfectly. I've been pretty satisfied with 1.6 myself. I'm running an older computer (really old, anything above N64 isn't going to run well) and I've found that 1.7 is quite a bit slower than 1.6. And I mean a lot slower. Probably 15%-20% slower. Just what i've noticed anyways.