Best Megami Tensei Game?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Windaga, Oct 1, 2010.

Oct 1, 2010

Best Megami Tensei Game? by Windaga at 5:43 PM (1,359 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Windaga
    OP

Member Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    After playing SMT:Devil Survivor and SMT: Strange Journey, I've been really tempted to go back and play some of the older MT/SMT games.

What do you guys think is the best MT/SMT game? The only SMT games I've played have been Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon, the two mentioned titles, and Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne. I've also played the two Devil Children games for the GBA, but I really didn't like them.

However, I lack a PSP at the moment, so please don't suggest any titles for the PSP.

I know people LOVE Persona, but has anyone played any of the older SMT games? Are they any good?

2. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    Noctrune is great... Dante's in there

I really regret selling my copy [​IMG]

I do have still Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon with the plushie doll mint condition.
    the first Devil Summoner wasn't too bad either

But I think the best SMT is Persona 3 FES
    followed by Noctrune, and in 3rd place is Persona 4

I have been wanting to play the digital devil saga, but my PS2 broke a long time a go

3. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    I'm a new fan of the series and have only played, REvelations: Persona, P3FES, P4, Strange Journey and the original SMT.

You can play SMT 1 and 2 via an translation patch via a snes emu. I can vouch that SMT 1 is a good game.

4. Windaga
    OP

United States
    Alright, thanks. I wanted to make sure that it was a good game before I went out and ordered one on eBay. Thanks ^ ^.

I haven't played any of the DDS series. I hear they have one of the best stories that Atlus has done.

5. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Actually how good are the DDS series? I've noticed I can get them both 1 and 2 for £20.

6. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
  7. Windaga
    OP

United States
    I don't know - I haven't played them myself. I was reading a thread over at GameFAQS, though, and many claim that it's the best in the series.

I was actually hoping that someone would translate the Raidou edition of Nocturne. I don't think anyone has yet. I like Raidou a lot more then I like Dante.

8. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    All of them.
    Play all of them. They're all the best.

That is all.

9. Daizu

Member Daizu GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I've played Shin Megami Tensei II but I never finished it. It was good though. Persona 1 and 2 are a lot like traditional SMT, still a lot different though. Persona 3 is my favorite of the bunch, Persona 4 is great too. Digital Devil Saga isn't traditional SMT but it's still good nonetheless. But, I say play them all.

10. Xarsah16

Member Xarsah16 GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot

I've finished the PSP Persona 1 remake, and I'd say don't get it unless you do get a PSP and unless you're a huge fan of the Persona Series. While it was an excellent remake compared to the original release, and another whole section of the game was translated in addition to the retranslation of the rest of the game, it still felt kind of boring to me.