Best laptop for Dolphin Emulator

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by ganons, Jul 14, 2015.

1. ganons
    OP

ganons GBAtemp Addict

Jun 12, 2005
    Can someone recommend some laptops that can run GC/Wii games 1080p for £500 that's just under $800

2. ganons
    OP

ganons GBAtemp Addict

Jun 12, 2005
    Or a small PC but about £300 that is easy to carry between rooms

3. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
  4. Rockhoundhigh

Rockhoundhigh Man with a mission

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    Southern California
    Can't give a specific recommendation but I'd say focus on getting the best CPU you can. You still need a dedicated graphics card of course, preferably Nvidia for their better drivers but performance in Dolphin is generally CPU limited even with all the recent optimizations. Also, make sure it's well ventilated as performance throttling due to overheating can be a real pain when it comes to emulation on laptops.

5. henn64

henn64 I don't know what I'm doing with my life.

Dec 26, 2012
    Canada
    The Great White South
    None, honestly. GPU options are fairly limited, and mobile CPUs are worse than desktop counterparts. Plus overheating is a thing.
    As an actual answer, Toshiba Satellite S series, but they're $1,000 pre-rebate and as low as $549 post-rebate. If $800 is all you can give up front, I guess these won't help.

6. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Dolphin relies on the CPU more than anything, as emulators are wont to do, so naturally, you'll want a beefy laptop CPU and a decent dedicated GPU.

7. ganons
    OP

ganons GBAtemp Addict

Jun 12, 2005
    Or is the nvidia shield going to better in the long run as its cheaper than a beefy laptop

8. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    As far as I know, Dolphin won't run on ARM CPUs, so that rules the nVidia shield out. Unless you just stream from a desktop, but that defeats the point.

Edit: I stand corrected.

Last edited by Originality, Jul 15, 2015
  9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Dolphin runs on Android, and the Shield tablet is the only device actually capable of running it at a decent (read: playable) FPS. But it's still far from fullspeed, maybe the Tegra X1 will be able to run it fullspeed.