Best homebrew Media Player ?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by 1ronlung, Mar 13, 2009.

Mar 13, 2009

Best homebrew Media Player ? by 1ronlung at 3:22 AM (1,393 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. 1ronlung
    OP

Member 1ronlung GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just been checking the wiibrew wiki ..

I've been using Geexbox for quite some time now with great results .. It seems to play anything I throw at it (mainly scene releases).
    Using 0.3 cos 0.4 is known to cause probs reading memory cards .. I suffered myself.

Anyway, noticed there's now MplayerWii and Wii MFE. Are any of these good enough to sway me from my trusted Geexbox ? Only load from USB, not DVD.

Cheers,
    ironlung

2. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    Well I use MPlayer CE and works gooooood good good, I don't have any usb stick I only use DVD's SD and the network with the PC..!! [​IMG]

Oh and this question goes on apps section BTW..!! [​IMG]

3. gamer1035

Newcomer gamer1035 Member

Canada
    get the latest version of mplayer ce, it does basically everything geexbox is but better, i only use usb aswell

4. 1ronlung
    OP

United States
    Sorry if I posted in wrong section.

Your answer makes me believe it's worth a d/l. Going from the wiki page you can also FF/REW, which Geexbox doesn't see, to do ...

5. sunnytimes

Member sunnytimes GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    mplayerCE works good .. wireless smb is a nice feature :]

6. 1ronlung
    OP

United States
    Am d/l'ing now.

Thanks for the answers, guys [​IMG]

7. mousex

Member mousex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    So mplayer ce redas your NTFS/Ext2/Ext3/ReiserFS formatted drives better than GeexBox? Cool, please send me your mplayer_ce version because mine only reads FAT drives and geexBox reads all the other Filesystems for me.

8. UranusKiller

Member UranusKiller TranceMaster

United Kingdom
    Nice replies to MPlayer CE, but to your question, no doesn't support Linux file systems like GeeXbox, hopefully once BootMii comes out that will change [​IMG]

Mplayer shouldn't be compared to each media apps to much, MplayerCE is a fork of MPlayer based on mplayerwii & GeeXbox, the only issue is un-supported file system types, but their are many video codecs "hard" which GeeXbox can't handle, and MPlayerCE can, it's give or take..Some are hard to improve, even kaming hard codecs decode to low can cause others to not work, and working along side the wiis low power.

It's good SMB is working well for people in here, it's bound to not work properly for some, different setups cause different stability.

9. Hitto

Member Hitto MKDS Tournament Winner

France
    I found the exact opposite to be true in my experience. Movie works in geexbox - CRASHES THE SYSTEM on mplayer. Movie works fine on geexbox - only audio and a completely jumbled image on mplayer... and so on.

10. yakboy

Newcomer yakboy Advanced Member

United States
    MplayerCE is does not have the compadability as the normal mplayer. I still use mplayer and can play any video file i throw at it and does usb just fine as well.