Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi guys,
which HDD would you recommend me for Wii USB Loaders? I actually have a Verbatim Portable 2,5" 320 GB HDD which has some lockup issues in many games (LEGO Batman, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Animal Crossing, Wario Ware, Rabbids Go Home and so on...). It's definitely the Hard Drive, the games lock up at the same points and don't when using USB flash drives, it could be some spindown issues, I don't know. I tried many different configs and loaders, IOS', FAT32, WBFS... IT IS the HDD.
biggrin.gif

So guys, with which HDD is it possible to play for hours and hours and never experience a lockup? Should be 2,5" and around 320GB.
Thanks in advance.

PS: I looked at the compatibility page and it doesn't really help me.

Edit: I've read that the Seagate FreeAgent is good, because you can edit the spindown settings.

Vattu

Trophies
XP
Country
use the slowest hdd with longest seek-times and shitty catch. oh, and try to find a PATA-to-ESATA-to-USB converter too.
smile.gif

mistajase

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just chucked an old 3.5 120GB IDE Maxtor internal drive from my old PC into a cheap HDD enclosure off E-Bay (£9.99 buy-it-now price).

Works. No problems at all!
biggrin.gif

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
cocoman said:
Hi guys,
which HDD would you recommend me for Wii USB Loaders? I actually have a Verbatim Portable 2,5" 320 GB HDD which has some lockup issues in many games (LEGO Batman, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Animal Crossing, Wario Ware, Rabbids Go Home and so on...). It's definitely the Hard Drive, the games lock up at the same points and don't when using USB flash drives, it could be some spindown issues, I don't know. I tried many different configs and loaders, IOS', FAT32, WBFS... IT IS the HDD.
biggrin.gif

So guys, with which HDD is it possible to play for hours and hours and never experience a lockup? Should be 2,5" and around 320GB.
Thanks in advance.

PS: I looked at the compatibility page and it doesn't really help me.

Edit: I've read that the Seagate FreeAgent is good, because you can edit the spindown settings.

Western digital scorpio blue 500gb works fine. I'm got it in a cheap white no name caddy and that works fine too.
Some problems can be caused by the drive, others by the caddy. I've never bought a bundled drive & caddy at the same time because they are much more expensive here & recently they seem to come with extra software embedded on the drive that you have trouble getting rid of.

You might want to pick up a cheap caddy to try the drive in.

cocoman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
smf said:
Western digital scorpio blue 500gb works fine. I'm got it in a cheap white no name caddy and that works fine too.
Some problems can be caused by the drive, others by the caddy. I've never bought a bundled drive & caddy at the same time because they are much more expensive here & recently they seem to come with extra software embedded on the drive that you have trouble getting rid of.

You might want to pick up a cheap caddy to try the drive in.

This one sounds really good. Are you really able to play many hours without any lockups? I don't want to buy a new HDD which has issues you know. Shitty Verbatim Portable Drive...
Any other 'ultimately awesome' HDDs?

Edit: Come on guys, just post which HDD you're using, it might help others too who google this a.s.o.

Raisouli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I use a Western Digital Portable 320GB, no problems, but in the first Level of Super Mario Galaxy, (if the video sequenze start), my wii crashed (black screen), but after some tries, it works, another games works too, i think, it was the spindown of the HDD.

The HDD has 2 years warranty and cost 55 € (Amazon Germany)

Gobnoblin

Trophies
XP
Country
anything from the compatibility list would be great... I use the iomega 500 .... before that I used my xbox hard drive lmao both work great now my xbox hdd is going to be for triiforce and emulators hahahaha

D

Deleted User

I have a western digital my passport 320GB and I never got any problems^^

Vattu

Trophies
XP
Country
I use a WD my passport 2.5". very nice enclosure and perfect gaming. a bit slow at booting at wii start, though.

richy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Make this another vote for Western Digital My Passport (320GB). I had a 160GB Essentials before but most of it was still partitioned for my PC stuff so I decided to buy a dedicated drive. Works fine and not had any issues with it. Only thing you might want to do (assuming it's one of the latest versions) is to turn off the auto-backup feature which a lot of people (including myself) find irritating when you plug it into a PC. Very easy to disable and instructions are on WD's website.

cocoman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
thank you guys, as i saw most of you use a 3,5" hdd, so i bought some cheep one from our pc store. it works freakin great!!! thank you so much guys, hope that will help others, too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ZQhiwti-pK0?si=LTqU_S8Xm2fYnlQg