Gaming Best game pad for pc gaming

gamefreak955

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i find that the xbox 360 controller works for everything i try, tho it's not my favorite, that would be the switch pro controller

mickthestud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Want to get back into gears of war I loved the first 3 on the 360 and didn’t see the point of buying a Xbox one for one game ,is the dual shock 4 hard to get running . I also own 360 controllers

AtsuNii

AtsuNii's New Beginnings
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Xbox controllers are in my opinion the best. As they often have some support for them build into windows aswell. Dualshock controllers have quite some trouble to get running, it took me a while to get my dualshock 3 running on my pc. No clue how it is for 4 but i doubt it is as easy as an xbox controller. That and somehow the xbox controller feels better in my hand then the dualshock ones.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I’m thinking PS4 dual shock 4 since I already own a PS4 but I am open to suggestions... thanks
I'm not the most avid collector of controllers, but the DS4 is honestly the best gamepad I know. I've bought one and use it regularly, even though I don't have a PS4 myself. :P
Steam Controller /s
Without irony: the steam controller takes some real getting used to. But its battery life is good, those two extra buttons underneath are convenient if you can get used to it and is the one controller where I've yet have to find my first issue with wireless.

For platformers, however, it's just a terrible choice (it's only slightly less worse than using a mobile touchscreen, but really: the absence of a regular D-pad is a HUGE missed opportunity).

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xbox controllers are in my opinion the best. As they often have some support for them build into windows aswell. Dualshock controllers have quite some trouble to get running, it took me a while to get my dualshock 3 running on my pc. No clue how it is for 4 but i doubt it is as easy as an xbox controller. That and somehow the xbox controller feels better in my hand then the dualshock ones.
they are good for everything but the games that are intended to be played with dpad not so much

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Xbox One controller. Natively supported, super comfortable and can be used wired or wireless with an adapter or Bluetooth (assuming you have the s controller.)

PS4 controller works great through steam, but I've always had inconsistencies doing so.

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on what kind of games you're playing honestly. Most of the time, a DS4 and Xbox One/360 controller will give you about the same results (assuming you are using Steam to map the buttons). However, the DS4 wins if you want to play 2D games that would much rather have a good dpad imo.

NoNoNeko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not the most avid collector of controllers, but the DS4 is honestly the best gamepad I know. I've bought one and use it regularly, even though I don't have a PS4 myself. :P

Without irony: the steam controller takes some real getting used to. But its battery life is good, those two extra buttons underneath are convenient if you can get used to it and is the one controller where I've yet have to find my first issue with wireless.

For platformers, however, it's just a terrible choice (it's only slightly less worse than using a mobile touchscreen, but really: the absence of a regular D-pad is a HUGE missed opportunity).
I completely agree. I bought one at GameStop a while ago and I enjoy it a lot but it's fun to rag on it :D Once you get used to it it's not so bad but I understand the frustration everyone has with it. It's a great concept but not very well executed.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's definitely not 360 controllers. I have a lot of them and cannot use them at all for most games because their dpad is fucking atrocious. Ds4 is ok but the switch and wii u pro controllers are my go to. 500+ hours in dark souls on them and they havent broken yet, plus the 80 hour battery life.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most likely if you play steam games, Xbox controllers cause of the game using Xinput which is what the xbox 360 or xbox one controllers use is the best choice for less problems. Of course steam also allows the player to emulate the use of xinput through the steam software configurations with support for dualshock and nintendo switch pro. (Though still even using xbox 360 controller, I still have to use analog stick for final fantasy VIII to move instead of d-pad) :blink:

Ignoring my last piece of info, as I was saying, sometimes it depends on the steam game what can be done or how will it handle. If you want my honest opinion, you probably better off getting one of those controller emulation devices like Titan one/ titan two, or those mayflash controller things. Having them be able to emulate xinput through converting any controller you prefer to use into xbox 360 inputs to function with games. Of course if you have the money for that and don't want to bother with the steam config.

Not really sure what else to say, just some suggestions. :ninja:

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The Xbox controllers are guaranteed to work on windows since it's written by Microsoft and you get first party support for them. They're sturdy and reliable.

All the dualshock controllers require installing third party drivers to map them into xinput devices.

On linux, pick your choice. Nearly everything is supported, but to what degree of completion is variable.

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It depends on how much money you want to spend or what are you looking

No money issues =
Xbox Elite controller, it's a best you can config the buttons, more buttons than normal

Want to be able to customize every single detail but don't want to waste a shitload of money =
Steam Controller, 60 bucks, but it lacks a second analog and the haptic pad is not the best replacement for an analog, but a decent mouse replacement.

Want something that you can use with Android, Windows, Linux, Pi consoles =
Razer Serval, not cheap by any means but it comes with a phone holder, switches instead of membrane for the buttons

Want a cheap workhorse that won't let you down=
The OG 360 controller with an adapter. It works like a charm, downside the Dpad

Want the ULTIMATE cheap controller =
Any Ipega controller will work as 360 gamepad, but be aware they won't break, but the quality of stick is sad...

Reactions: Spadezilla

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
I personally use an Xbox One controller for games with analog movement and a SNES controller for games without it, such as 2D platformers. Really happy with that setup. Keep in mind though that if you want to use the Xbox One controller wirelessly you'll need to buy rechargeable batteries separately as the controller doesn't come with any for some stupid reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over