Best encryption software?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by yusuo, Apr 21, 2013.

Apr 21, 2013

Best encryption software? by yusuo at 1:08 PM (536 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. yusuo
    OP

Member yusuo GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    So guys (and gals) I got a few files on my pc I would rather nobody see and I was kind of wondering what the best encryption software out there is for encrypting individual files.
    I use axcrypt at the moment but just testing the waters to see if there's anything better

2. Wombo Combo

Member Wombo Combo That Ain't Falco

United States
  3. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
  4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Before we do go full measures and things like truecrypt might it instead be worth considering stuffing it in an archive instead? Stock 7zip supports AES256 after all.
    Granted you have the extraction issue but for simple files that need to be encrypted for storage it is far nicer to deal with than a fully encrypted partition or some such like truecrypt does.

Rydian likes this.
  5. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    You could also create a stealth partition. Instead of encrypting/compressing/obfuscating files or folders, you can hide an entire drive partition for added security.

6. Haloman800

Member Haloman800 a real gril

United States
    If you just want to encrypt a folder or file, you can do so (and compress it at the same time) using 7-Zip.

I use TrueCrypt because I have entire folders of encrypted files, TrueCrypt lets you mount them, make changes without having to decrypt/re-encrypt, and then dismount.