Best encryption software?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by yusuo, Apr 21, 2013.

1. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    So guys (and gals) I got a few files on my pc I would rather nobody see and I was kind of wondering what the best encryption software out there is for encrypting individual files.
    I use axcrypt at the moment but just testing the waters to see if there's anything better

2. Wombo Combo

Wombo Combo That Ain't Falco

Mar 17, 2010
    United States
  3. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
  4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Before we do go full measures and things like truecrypt might it instead be worth considering stuffing it in an archive instead? Stock 7zip supports AES256 after all.
    Granted you have the extraction issue but for simple files that need to be encrypted for storage it is far nicer to deal with than a fully encrypted partition or some such like truecrypt does.

Rydian likes this.
  5. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    You could also create a stealth partition. Instead of encrypting/compressing/obfuscating files or folders, you can hide an entire drive partition for added security.

6. Haloman800

Haloman800 a real gril

Dec 18, 2009
    United States
    If you just want to encrypt a folder or file, you can do so (and compress it at the same time) using 7-Zip.

I use TrueCrypt because I have entire folders of encrypted files, TrueCrypt lets you mount them, make changes without having to decrypt/re-encrypt, and then dismount.