Hardware Best Dance Pad?

3DPiper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking of getting a couple of dance pads for the kids.. Is there one favored for Gamecube/Wii?

I see Wal-Mart selling 2 for like $20, but I'm sure there are better pads out there.. I can still get the official Nintendo version on ebay.. Of the few reviews I found, Ignition Dance Pad was favored (although the review is two years old and I don't think it's Gamecube compatible)..

I know a new DDR for Wii is coming out soon, so hopefully whatever I get will be compatible..

Thanks!

-Matthew

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
plus theres also mario dance revolution, seems quite nice too.
Anyway i never saw any other nintendo dance pads, except the official ones.
frown.gif

iMm0rt4L

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whatever you do, don't buy those cheap 10 dollar ones that are just a thin layer of plastic
They're horrible and they break really really easily.

3DPiper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
whatever you do, don't buy those cheap 10 dollar ones that are just a thin layer of plastic
They're horrible and they break really really easily.

Yes, the more research I'm doing the more i realize they are poo..

All the hard-core DDRers are making their own arcade-quality pad, I may do that..

-Matthew

stonefry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I couldn't tell from your post just how much you are willing to spend, but if you are thinking of building your own I guess your budget isn't very limited.

That being said, I recommend the RedOctane Ignition dance mat for xbox and PS1/2. They are 80 bucks. I am by no means a hardcore DDR player, but I am pretty decent at it. I can complete some 8 step songs. The worst part about having a flat cheap mat is that your feet will wander off the arrows (or the mat will wander out from under you) and you won't know it unless you look down. This is not a problem in the arcade because there are depressions where the arrows aret hat you can feel with your feet.The ignition pad has a hard foam insert and the arrows are raised up a tad so you can feel them with your feet. I think it is a great mat and the best you can get without spending $250 on a metal one. Also the foam pad is in 3 pieces so you can take it apart for storage.

-stonefry

Edit: just realized that you wanted this for a Wii, well you can get PS-GC adapters for pretty cheap now.

3DPiper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys..

Are the only games available for GC/Wii that use the dance pad:

MC Groovz Dance Craze (Gamecube)
Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix (Gamecube)
Dance Dance Revolution: Hottest Party (Wii)

?

-Matthew

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm not sure if you can get an adapter for any dance mat for the Wii. But some of the ps2 dance mats are really good quality. I have an adapter so I can use one on my xbox. If you want a good dance mat and money is no object then try the metal dance mats. Only problem with them is you need somewhere to store them, they don't fold away like the plastic ones.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The highest quality mat is the Cobalt Flux, but it is also the most expensive. If you have any plans on your kids becoming hard core DDR players, get these pads. I have one and its survived everything I've played on it (10 footers, etc.). That being said, I use it on the PS2, and I don't know how well -if at all- the work with PS2->GC adapters.

3DPiper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I'm not sure if you can get an adapter for any dance mat for the Wii.

From IGN:

"With Wii controllers in hand, players will make use of the classic dance mat in conjunction with new hand control, adding different upper-body actions to the original DDR gameplay. In an extremely smart move, Konami has made use of the GameCube port on the Wii, allowing for four dance mats, four Wii-mote/nunchuk sets, and the ability to use the original Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix pads that hardcore GCN owners may already own."

Woot!

Just find a Gamecube dance pad, or buy a madcatz controller from WalMart for $11 and use it as an adapter..

-Matthew

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Definitely go with a blueshark if you're planning on purchasing one. If not, build it yourself, as I've done with my two most recent pads. And yeah, bar raping is for nubz. Although, I don't think you can purchase the 3" BS without the bar ;o

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
stepmania is good and free, but is only good if your kids can do songs on heavy. I'm only good on light (DDR MAX) and so far for stepmania, i found DAIKENKAI, which is a really good song on DDR MAX, which has all 4 difficulties.

When is that Wii DDR going to come out? I may go out and buy it because if I have a dump that wont help without any dance mats.
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.