Hacking Best Current Way to Play Gamecube Backups?

junkyard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently have a WiiKey 1 Wii, which I use Customizable USB Loader, to play my Wii games with.

However, I was looking to go back and fit in a couple Gamecube games I missed playing.

What currently is the smoothest way to play game cube games?
Any way to get away from disc based media?

SD Boot? Anyway to stream from computer using an older gamecube dol?
If I must use my Wii Drive, any general tips in the that arena for getting a pleasant experience. In general I HATE disc based gaming as its loud, slow, and extremely susceptible to disc quality, burn quality , etc. I would much rather play off HDD, SD, or Network.

Are there any projects on the horizon that will allow gamecube games from HDD or SD? I saw something about SD-Boot, as well as the WODE avenue. The day a mIOS is patched with USB functionality will be great.

Thanks in advance.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
sounds like u have all the info

so far u can only play GC games off disc, SD Boot isn't released yet (and when its released it will be under a different name, but it will still require either a usb gecko or an sd gecko)

to play GC rips, u need a cmios and any one of the following: gc backuploader, or neogamma, or cioscorp

not 100%, but i think a WODE can play GC backups without using a disk

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wode and flatmii can play GC games over USB. wode reads them from a HDD connected to the wii. flatmii reads them from a windows PC. the down side is that you have to fork out money and buy hardware and then crack open the wii to install it. the upside is that you dont need any cIOS or firmware modification, and no update from nintendo is likely to block them from working.

ephumuris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No actually that's a very good point. I've heard things about having to do pot tweaks etc...too much work for my liking!

junkyard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Short of buying an Oscilloscope and exacting the pot on the lasers.....which is possible, i read about it long ago in my PS2 days, disc based backups are generally a nightmare.

junkyard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone remember what the slickest way to play gamecube backups was at the time? Or was it all from disc based media?

Does anyone know how to make disc based reading quiet?

lotto996

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

junkyard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lotto996 said:
junkyard said:
Does anyone remember what the slickest way to play gamecube backups was at the time? Or was it all from disc based media?

Does anyone know how to make disc based reading quiet?

Old school, the slickest way was to stream the iso via ethernet connection. Second coolest was using a chip, such as http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=25814 and burning multiple games to one dvd-r w/ something like http://www.modingmaniacs.com/gamecube-repl...lable-p-37.html

What was the compatibility of the streaming? I remember streaming in the very beginning with PSO...but the compatibility wasn't that great. Did it ever improve towards the end of the gamecube's life? Any compatiblity lists still up. With the loss of mod that cube, a huge amt of gamecube information was lost
frown.gif

Does anyone have any links to getting the Gamcube/Wii laser under control ie noise and readtimes? Its something I've fought since the PS2, with shitty lasers, media, burners. HDD is so much better.

What other options on the horizon are there for gamecube game loading for the WII? I know that the Wode team is coming out with a cheaper product, with a broswer channel. The Flatzii doesn't seem to be in production yet.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
I heard that WiiPower was working on a homebrew GC Loader. It starts cMIOS as well as the cIOS so all hardware is avaliable in this "hybrid" mode.

evanft

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fgghjjkll said:
I heard that WiiPower was working on a homebrew GC Loader. It starts cMIOS as well as the cIOS so all hardware is avaliable in this "hybrid" mode.

That'd be pretty awesome if that ever came out.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
fgghjjkll said:

You heard wrong. Please give me a link to the post that made you think that.

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
From HDD
WODE (works fine HDD or Disc aswell as region free but no streaming audio support from hdd)
Flatmii/flatzii (works from PC flatzii addon not released yet)
Flatmii fusion (atleast so ive read disc or SD)
Sundriver (should work fine but no optical drive no idea about region free or streaming audio)
USB-boot (not ideal gecko costs more than most drive chips, slow loading and freezes aswell as compatibility issues)
SD-boot (not ideal but can get adapters for under $4,slow loading and freezes aswell as compatibility issues)

From disc
Drive chip (cheap but stuck with discs)
cMIOS (compatibility debatable but free)

None are perfect but I would say WODE is the best at the moment as it will load games from almost every media you chuck at it maybe things will change when Sun-HD or Flatzii get out there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things