Best Controller Combo for Switch Games

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Saiyan Lusitano, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    For most Switch gamers the controllers they'll have are the Joy-Cons or/and the Pro Controller but then, those that already owned the Pokkén controller and GameCube controller can customise how they fancy to up their game. Oh, and 8 Bitdo as well.

My picks for each different gameplay style:
    • Retro - Pokkén Controller
    • Racing - Pro Controller / GameCube Controller
    • Fighting - Pokkén Controller / 8 Bitdo Controller
    • FPS/TPS - Pro Controller
    • Relax Mode - Joy-Cons (games like BotW)
    In general the Joy-Cons/Pro Controller are more than enough but you can sweeten your experience with the variety of controllers out for the Switch. I've honestly never liked the Joy-Cons to play games such as Mario Kart, Master Blaster, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Disgaea, etc but it does work and does the job.

By the way, I didn't know but it was required to update (download driver from the website) the Mayflash GameCube adapter via USB before using it properly on the Switch.

2. isoboy

isoboy GBAtemp Regular

Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    If the joysticks on the new 8bit snes controller are good then maybe that could be the one ultimate switch controller except for when you want to use the separate joycons. It doesn't have proper palm grips but we all know how good the snes controller is.

3. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    The problem on the 8Bitdo Pro-type controllers are that the digital triggers are on the same end as the shoulder buttons.

4. isoboy

isoboy GBAtemp Regular

Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    I'm probably going to buy a new joycon and do a d-pad mod myself because fuck Nintendo.

5. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    I bought a second set of joy-cons, and will be getting a charge pad. I literally see no reason to buy any more controllers. Games that need all the buttons are usually two-player multiplat, while all the party games will be happy with individual joycons.

Compared to having 15 or so controllers for the Wii U (and not even having full sets for every scenario), having 2 controllers that can be split into 4 in a pinch sounds pretty nice to me.

6. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    it also seems you can use ps3, ps4, and xbox controllers too with a wii u usb adapter with it acting as a wired pro controller, also, this means the fight sticks for those systems work as well

7. isoboy

isoboy GBAtemp Regular

Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    I'd love to play BotW on my Wii U using a DS4. I've hacked all my consoles but still I can't be bothered to look into homebrew on the Wii U so unless I buy a controller I can't complain. I don't want to wait for Nintendo and am looking to mod a joycon though. That d-pad mod that showed up on reddit looks great to me.

8. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    The Joy-Cons are good controllers but literally, very literally do not have a d-pad and everything about it is very minuscule.

9. omegasoul6

omegasoul6 ಠ_ಠ

Aug 16, 2007
    Canada
    Toronto
    Did my first playthrough of BotW with the joycons attached to the charging grip, but been doing my second with them separated and it's so comfy.

I would like to pick up a pro controller eventually though.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  10. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    The Joy-Cons on each hand are very comfy to play BotW.

11. Zhongtiao1

Zhongtiao1 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 24, 2015
    United States
    The joycons (while not having a true d-pad) are perfect for puyo puyo tetris. The separate buttons are great for exact positioning

Sent from my Q5 using Tapatalk 2

12. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    Not having a true d-pad? That's not even a d-pad at all.

13. Zhongtiao1

Zhongtiao1 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 24, 2015
    United States
    Hey, the watara supervision called that a d-pad

Sent from my Q5 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by Zhongtiao1, Jul 10, 2017
  14. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    He can call it a masterpiece of a d-pad but it's still buttons. :P

15. isoboy

isoboy GBAtemp Regular

Dec 23, 2016
    United States
    I decided to go through with it a few hours ago using a snes d-pad. It was as time consuming as I expected and I fucked up at one point so that was my one and only attempt. I'll wait for 3rd party or official d-pad joycons.

Last edited by isoboy, Jul 11, 2017