Did/Do you use Best Buy's program?

• Total voters

Hking0036

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Best Buy's program offering 20% off all new games seems to have been killed, if you have a subscription you get to ride it out but no new subscriptions or renewals are allowed. If yours is expiring soon, you might want to buy up the amiibo you're sitting on or lay down some pre-orders before yours expires. A Best Buy employee from reddit has shown a memo proving that it's being discontinued, but no statement from best buy has been made. This follows suit from Amazon dropping 20% off for prime members after release and only providing discounts on pre-orders.
ALo1ZfQ.jpg
Source: Reddit post

I'm honestly feeling a bit down because of it, it was a pretty good way to get games, especially because it applied on top of their sales as well, but I guess all good things must come to an end. I don't think I'll be buying much from Best Buy after mine expires, though.

Last edited by Hking0036,
Reactions: Glyptofane

Hking0036

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many here would disagree :P
I suppose so, but nobody here has the opportunity to get what they really want just yet ;)

It'll be back to ebay for me once this is over, I still like getting cartridges as part of the whole ownership-of-games thing (then dump them so I can have them digital as well) but now I won't get to get the my nintendo as well I guess.

Reactions: Ericthegreat

Hking0036

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I thought this was one of the few things keeping Best Buy relevant. Weird that they're killing it.
I think it has bad margins for them. Presumably it was just a way for them to get people into the store, but it must not have done that. Either way, it's a let-down for sure. Nobody had (or has) a program that was as good as GCU was.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
So not only will I have to go back to Amazon Prime, but if I want a discount, I'll have to pre-order the games since they no longer have the 2-weeks post-release discount. I even work at Amazon, yet employees don't get a Prime discount, only 10% off very certain things up to $100 per year.

Hking0036

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So not only will I have to go back to Amazon Prime, but if I want a discount, I'll have to pre-order the games since they no longer have the 2-weeks post-release discount. I even work at Amazon, yet employees don't get a Prime discount, only 10% off very certain things up to $100 per year.
Wow, that's just straight up stingy, but then again, I remember hearing that Amazon was pretty bad to it's employees. I think Best Buy themselves give some crazy employee discounts. I let my amazon prime lapse after my free student subscription ended because all I was buying with games and I like to wait until after release to see how games pan out, so it's a real killer (especially considering they just jacked the price up).

Especially harsh to throw this out so close to E3, but if they killed it right after I imagine there would be even more frustration.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually recently bought mario and rabbids new for $8.67 due to it being on sale, two coupons, and the gamer's club card, all of which stacked. :P

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Such shame. Considering how Amazon has been removing it's gaming benefits from Prime over the past few years, I wouldn't be surprised if they follow suite too.
Time to go all digital again, I guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I liked the cameo the original cast did
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, I heard a member of the original cast died
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Rest of the plot was just average
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Egon was the best character
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My favorite was the Key master in the first one, "Ok, who brought the dog?" - Rick Moranis
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Was way better than that ghostbusters: frozen in women power one
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was kind of a passing the torch idea which I didn't hate finally
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The old Ghostbuster video game was pretty good also, newer one is just ok.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gotta be more specific nes one was garbage 360 was decent
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea 360/ps3 one I meant, I don't remember the Nes one tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I never played that one.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, me neither
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 gotta be more specific, there were 2 on the NES and one of them was pretty decent
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well it's probably the one youtube link I posted
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    deleted my newgrounds account
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc of shame
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You have shame?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, made a new one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, who would win
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Every character from HH/HB (hazbin hotel/helluva boss) VS Dante (devil may cry), Doom Guy (doom) and V1(ultrakill)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fairly odd parents
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Fairly odd parents