Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gus122000 said:
BoneMonkey said:
Can anyone recommend th ebest free anti virus out there ?
Hey bonemonkey what exactly is your gif in Japanese suppose to mean.
I know it says pushing but i don't get it :s

EDIT: Oh wait nvm i think i got it. His hands were so small that i didn't notice that he was pointing to his mouth.
"oushite"

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Best free antivirus:
AVG (7/10)

Best nonfree / cracked antivirus:
Nod32 (9.5/10)

Best combo (imo and I've tried tons of different ones in the different categories. Panda, zonealarm, kaspersky, norton etc):

Nod32 + Outpost + Sandboxie + Disk keeper (and a good uninstaller program)

and you'll have yourself one happy PC.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
AVG is nice because it isn't a bastard on your memory and runs in the background without killing your computers performance, even on 1GB of RAM on my laptop (AMD Turion Mobile 1.8 Ghz) I can run iTunes, IE6, MSN and Handbrake while it is scanning and won't have serious slow downs.

AXYPB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Consumer Reports recommends BitDefender Internet Security 2008. I use AVG myself and I like how version 8 has an option to add programs under an exceptions list for false positives.

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you don't mind using warez... (since you download DS roms
tongue.gif
)... Kaspersky is easily the best. Nowhere near as resource demanding as AVG and detects more than AVG and NOD32. Everybody on the warez forum I go to use Kaspersky... or AVG, although most prefer Kaspersky.

Spec2K

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im currently using CA.. and so far it's pretty good, I installed the anti-spyware protection and anti-virus 2008 and it has a security center that allows you to access which one you want to access.
It does auto updating on the fly, no need to make schedules. So basically when new definitions are released on their server you computer gets it right away. it's not resource hog and it has very very simple user interface.
try it out.

here's the site: http://shop.ca.com/

but again there's alot of hype with about AVG Free.. hmm I might try it.. just one question.. is it a anti-spyware and antivirus detector with real time scan and on demand or just a on demand.?

real time means runs in the background.
on demand means the user has to activate the scan.

?

Gamer

DS Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.pikaflash.com
XP
Country
Mexico
After messing a lot with NOD32 and it's fixes (don't have money to pay the fee lol), i got tired and i decided to test a free antivirus, so i don't have to worry if a fix is working or not anymore (not counting that some fixes run as a process at the background).

So, i installed Avast and it's been working fine so far, it uses little resources and updates frequently.

It's a good choice if you don't want to mess with cracks/serials/fixes (and, if you are not carefully they could also damage your computer).

It's fine for me, as also i'm careful with the stuff i download and the webs i go to.

Cheers

doxology83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
if you talk to people in the business that attend events about pc security you will find that nod32 has a pretty large lead. kaspersky is also towards the top. the free version of avg was good until 7.5, but 8.0 is more of a suite of software and i had nothing but issues with it. avira the free edition is easily the best free one. the only issue with the free avira is a small nag to upgrade when you download updates, but if you look online there is a small reigistry hack or something to make it not pop up anymore.

nod32, kaspersky, and avira all use heuristic engines and i think i read somewhere they all use the same scanning engine but have there own virus definitions etc. though the heuristic engine in nod32 is usually considered alot better than kaspersky. nod32 also has the smallest footprint. if you are going to pay for one nod32 is the best, if you are going free i would use avira.

matrix121391

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I use AVG Free 8.0. Someone above said that they have had issues with it, but so far, I've found no problem whatsoever. They catch every virus I've ran into and healed it (haven't ran into many actually, but I'll get to that later). It also has a feature that tells you which sites are a risk of getting you infected. I honestly think it's the best because it was recommended to me by a professional computer repairman and it's one of the better-known companies out there.

miketh2005

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
silent sniper said:
AVG Free 8 (I just updated about a week ago) and the previous versions have never failed me. Also, don't try downloading a crack of AVG Pro, they're all bad and will give you a virus.

That's because you download from stupid warez SITES not FORUMS, usally forums never have viruses and if they do they are taken care of quickly.

Avast and AVG both suck, NOD32 is 3rd so I don't blame the people who said that but Kaspersky is deffenatly the best, it was rated #1 by Consumer Reports. F-Secure came in 2nd? either that or the other way around with NOD32...

I'm gonna go ahead and post the trial resetter for Kaspersky since it's not really "warez":

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R6DL68PK

Get Kaspersky 2009, I don't think it works with any other...

Wolfsclaw said:
My mom says sleeping is the best way of defeating a virus!
unsure.gif

rofl2.gif

QUOTE(Frog @ Aug 5 2008, 11:34 AM)
i use CA, which is great.
the only issue i had was with the security suite... it was very slow and laggy at times.

CA is like at the bottom of the list....and it was slow and laggy because your computer sucks! Upgrade and get Kaspersky

Research.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
miketh2005 said:
That's because you download from stupid warez SITES not FORUMS, usally forums never have viruses and if they do they are taken care of quickly.

Avast and AVG both suck, NOD32 is 3rd so I don't blame the people who said that but Kaspersky is deffenatly the best, it was rated #1 by Consumer Reports. F-Secure came in 2nd? either that or the other way around with NOD32...

I'm gonna go ahead and post the trial resetter for Kaspersky since it's not really "warez":

[Link to warez removed]

Get Kaspersky 2009, I don't think it works with any other...
Nice warez there...

It doesn't matter if it's just a trial resetter since that .rar archive also contains regkeys.
And btw trial resetters are illegal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D