Hacking Best 3DS flash cart?

Hummus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, my 3DS has the latest firmware, so what flash cart would be the best for that firmware? Also, what are the major differences between the acekard and the r4i gold? Thanks!

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I got a scds2 for my 3ds its the most expensive card on the market doule the price of acekard 2i but I got it cause I wanted to be able to play snes and gba roms.Acekard works perfectly fine though but I would see if they could pre-flash the card for you unless you got another ds lying around

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own an EZ-Flash Vi and a DSTWO flashcart. My brother also owns a DSTWO flashcart, but my sister owns an Acekard 2i.

Well, the EZ-Flash Vi isn't the best choice. It does the job, but Acekard 2i is not only better, but it is also cheaper. They also get more frequent updates.

Acekard 2i is good for DS emulation and homebrew. It does the job, and has updating whenever needed. It can run a very crappy SNES emulator but absolutely cannot emulate GBA (Unless someone actually has the incredible amount of freetime to do that, which hasn't happened in the 7 or so years we've had DS homebrew for).

The DSTWO is good enough for DS emulation and homebrew. It has many playable games, but there's a few that have minor glitches. These glitches can easily be fixed through updates that may come in the future, and you can report them so they will be updated. It also has an SNES emulator that works better than the ones that the EZ-Flash Vi and Acekard 2i can run... just don't expect it to do too much. There's also a GBA emulator that has few glitches, but rarely ever runs at full speed (without frameskipping or taking out the volume).

So you have:
A flashcart that is expensive and isn't top-rate.
A flashcart that is cheaper than the other flashcart and is better, with frequent updates.
A flashcart that is expensive with more possibilities of things, at the cost of minor glitching.

darbzzz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hummus said:
Does the scds2 have the same amount of slowdown emulating snes/genesis/gba as the acekard or the DSTWO?

the scds2 is the DSTWO.

the acekard cannot emulate GBA unless you use a slot-2 device
not sure about slowdown with the snes or genesis emus

soz i cant be more helpful

also i got my acekard for less than £10 which is CHEEEEEAP!!!!1!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
IMHO, none of the flashcarts are truly 3DS-Ready, thus I'd disqualify all of them in the "best for the 3DS" category.

From a standard everyday Joe perspective though, I'd choose the DSTwo. Acekards 2i shine, but only coupled with 3in1's and on DS Lite's. In any other instance, DSTwo is pimp.

So yeah, if you can afford it, DSTwo. If you can't - Acekard. They're both great as far as support and compatibility goes.

Hummus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About SNES emulation... Can the DSTWO run it at 100%? If not what would it be... 50%, 60%, 70%? And same goes for the R4i Gold, what would the SNES percentage be for that one?

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hummus said:
About SNES emulation... Can the DSTWO run it at 100%? If not what would it be... 50%, 60%, 70%? And same goes for the R4i Gold, what would the SNES percentage be for that one?
It depends on the game. It's not the best, but better than any non-DSTWO SNES emulation.

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
machomuu said:
Shuji1987 said:
machomuu said:
Foxi4 said:
IMHO, none of the flashcarts are truly 3DS-Ready
How so?

That would be obvious due to not being able to run in 3DS mode.
That's not "not 3DS ready" that's "not a 3DS flashcart".

There is no set fact on what is 3DS-ready and what is not. He was merely expressing his opinion due to the reason stated before (but that's my guess).

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
Shuji1987 said:
machomuu said:
Shuji1987 said:
machomuu said:
Foxi4 said:
IMHO, none of the flashcarts are truly 3DS-Ready
How so?

That would be obvious due to not being able to run in 3DS mode.
That's not "not 3DS ready" that's "not a 3DS flashcart".

There is no set fact on what is 3DS-ready and what is not. He was merely expressing his opinion due to the reason stated before (but that's my guess).
Well "3DS-ready" should imply that it can use full top screen resolution for one. The fact that it can run a rom or not doesn't mean it's not 3DS-ready.

Pip'

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
My point exactly. It's like filling the gas tank of an old car that uses Pb-95 petrol with Pb-98. It's going to start, that's for sure. It's not getting the benefits of the higher-quality petrol though, it just drives normally.

The current 3DS-Carts are "3DS-Compatible", which means that they can boot perfectly fine on a 3DS. They're not "3DS-Ready" though, as they are unable to boot in 3DS mode, nor can they boot 3DS ROM images.

QUOTE said:
Well "3DS-ready" should imply that it can use full top screen resolution for one. The fact that it can run a rom or not doesn't mean it's not 3DS-ready.

Pip'

Use the standard shortcut for full-screen. It's L+R+Select, if I'm not mistaken. Look it up in the manual.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
My point exactly. It's like filling the gas tank of an old car that uses Pb-95 petrol with Pb-98. It's going to start, that's for sure. It's not getting the benefits of the higher-quality petrol though, it just drives.

The current 3DS-Carts are "3DS-Compatible", which means that they can boot perfectly fine on a 3DS. They're not "3DS-Ready" though, as they are unable to boot in 3DS mode, nor can they boot 3DS ROM images.
Yeah, I think it's just the wording that bothers me, if you said "3DS Mode-Ready" or "3DS flashcart", I'd have had no objections. But whatever.

Immortal_no1

Trophies
XP
Country
Just received an e-mail from xpertron.co.uk, contents are below:

Subject: Don't Update Your 3DS With The Firmware 2.1.0-4 Released On 26 Jul 2011
newsletter_0729_part1.png

Believe that it may be propaganda anyone else seen something similar?

Before the update i was using an R4i 3DS gold worked fine, also have a SC DSTwo working fine - best for homebrew in my opinion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And real f ing high! But not the height. We got legal recreation now, so yea...
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    you go bro
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i know, i know, i'm late
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.