Been gone a while and need to update

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by OmegaPikachu, Nov 28, 2016.

1. OmegaPikachu
    OP

OmegaPikachu GBAtemp Regular

Mar 9, 2015
    United States
    So I got a 20th anniversary pokemon n3ds and got Rxtools CFW on it, booting with ctrbootmanager. months and months ago.

But I'm upgrading to a bigger microsd card. so I need to do the whole process of getting cfw again, but I read rxtools is no longer being worked on and apparently luma3ds is good and something called arm9hax exists.

So what's the easiest and best way to set this all up again, with this stuff that's new to me. I'd also like to keep my game saves.

Thanks so much for the help!

2. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
  3. OmegaPikachu
    OP

Mar 9, 2015
    United States
    Will I be able to bring my saves over?

4. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    There will be an option to move your emuNAND over to your sysNAND when the process is done, so yes.

5. OmegaPikachu
    OP

Mar 9, 2015
    United States
    Awesome. I read through that guide and it said it you use another systems otp.bin you'll brick. so is there a to get my own systems otp or is it already on there?

6. Xiphiidae

Xiphiidae

Sep 13, 2009
    Australia
    As you have a New 3DS, you don't have to worry about anything involving the OTP; the installation method for the New 3DS bypasses all of that. Just read through the guide, and follow it to the letter, and you'll be fine.

7. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    What Xiphiidae said. But be warned though: bricks have happened through this method as a result of bad SD cards. Follow what the guide says to make sure your SD card is good before attempting the OTPless method.

8. CrispyYoshi

CrispyYoshi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    Actually no, having otp.bin in SD:/a9lh/ will attempt to install on the N3DS and will brick it. If you're going to install a9lh, make sure there is no otp.bin in SD:/a9lh/ whatsoever unless you are 100% confident the otp.bin came from that specific console.

9. Xiphiidae

Xiphiidae

Sep 13, 2009
    Australia
    Considering that OmegaPikachu has Rxtools and hadn't heard about A9LH until recently, I'm fairly certain they don't have an otp.bin on their SD card.

KunoichiZ and Zidapi like this.
  10. OmegaPikachu
    OP

Mar 9, 2015
    United States

Thank you all very much!