[GBATemp]~IceStorm

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a bb code test, ignore this thread.

Table of contents

text

As of late, the forums have been rife with complaining, bickering, and speculation as to what the Nintendo 3DS flash carts are capable of performing. The purpose of this thread will be to quell the onslaught of duplicate threads and questions by providing a comparison of the players as they appear. Please note that the date in the title will be the date in which the latest relevant information regarding these kits has been added to this post! As information is changing constantly, this thread will be continually updated when significant information is released. By the end of this thread, you should have a grasp as to what exactly you would like to purchase. If not, at the very least, you should have a grasp on the major players. If you are confused, please let me know.

Guide Contents
[link="a"]Gateway 3DS[/link]
[link="b"]R4i 3DS Gold Deluxe[/link]
[link="c"]3DSLink[/link]
[link="d"]Orange 3DS[/link]
[link="e"]MT-Card[/link]
[link="f"]The Winner?[/link]
Comparisons of the 3DS Flashcarts

[anchor]a[/anchor]1. Gateway 3DS

[IMG]

The Gateway 3DS is the original flash cart, presented as a high-quality flash cartridge. A very thorough review of this flash cartridge was written by our very own [USER=193826]Devin[/USER], which is posted here. The Gateway 3DS presented themselves as a new company and with some rather dubious initial progress. GBAtemp was fresh from the scandal that was the Crown3DS, and the initial response was hesitant to embrace this company. As time passed, the Gateway 3DS team proved their reliability with swift updates and promises on features that many had sought out, earning praise from customers.

With the release of the new v2.0 firmware, emuNAND has been brought to the table. Newer game compatibility is present, with the exceptions being the NAND saving versions. Care and attention to the instructions provided by the Gateway team is required, as several users have accidentally updated their real system NAND in place of the emuNAND. Carries some limitations and dangers, due to a beta release. Again, strong caution advised.

Pros of the Gateway 3DS
Easy setup and use
Save files could be backed up
Plays identically to a retail game
Can play most games
Region Free
Can spoof firmware
Cartridge is made of high-quality plastic
Fantastic support
emuNAND

Cons of the Gateway 3DS
No online gameplay
Unit is pricey at around $80 USD
Some games currently do not work*

*The games that currently do not work (Pokemon X/Y and Animal Crossing) are being worked on by the Gateway 3DS Team. The recently released beta firmware v2.0 brought emuNAND firmware playing (allows a v4.5 console to emulate a v6.3 console and be able to visit the eShop).

Miscellaneous Notes:

Overall, despite a rather hefty price tag, the Gateway is a great pick to go for, with excellent support backing it. Of course, if budget is a pressing issue, there are other alternatives. One of the bigger points this cartridge may have over its competition is the quality, which closely mimics that of a retail cartridge, even including the tiny nib on the edge, something the R4i Gold Deluxe lacks. From my own tests the unit was highly durable and among some of the best I have seen in flash carts to date.

[anchor]b[/anchor]2. R4i 3DS Gold Deluxe

[IMG]

This unit came into prominence after the release of the Gateway 3DS. As usual, Devin, bless him, provided a very thorough rundown of the flash cart, found here. This unit is a competitor to the Gateway 3DS, with a lower price tag. Features being developed are similar to that of the Gateway 3DS. The team has solid backing and prominence as the developers of the R4i Gold, currently a popular Nintendo DS cartridge due to its ability to support the Wood firmware developed by Yellow Wood Goblin.

With the release of the new v3.0 firmware, emuNAND has been released for the 3DS, but does not work yet on the v7.0.0.13 firmwares. Caution is advised, and as this firmware update is a carbon copy of the Gateway 3DS firmware, be wary as it contains all the limitations and issues that are present on the Gateway 3DS firmware.

Pros of the R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe Edition
Cheaper than the Gateway 3DS
Easy to set up and use
Save files could be backed up
Plays identically to a retail game
Can play most games
Region Free
Can spoof firmware

Cons of the R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe Edition
No online gameplay
Plastic is of poor quality, which may lead to future contact issues
Some games do not work yet*
Firmware is a copy of the Gateway team's work

*A lot of the games that currently do not work, such as Pokemon X/Y, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf, are being worked on.

Miscellaneous Notes:

According to the reviews of several colleagues, such as Devin and PharaohsVizier, and based on information I already have, this cartridge can be a competitor to the Gateway 3DS. As of this moment, both cartridges are identical in terms of features. The R4i team is also actively developing and not piggy backing off of the achievements of the Gateway 3DS team. The unit is slightly cheaper, but it comes at the cost of an inferior plastic shell. This cartridge is recommended for those who do not have a ready and available cash supply on hand.

An additional note I would like to mention is that the new firmware version 3.0 was released. This firmware is an almost carbon copy of the Gateway 3DS firmware, right down to its limitations and issues. Some users reported Gateway 3DS elements were present within the firmware as well.

[anchor]c[/anchor]3. 3DSLink

[IMG]

The 3DSLink flash cart is a spiritual clone of the R4i 3DS Gold Deluxe Edition. This cartridge was announced at a similar time as the R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe. Confirmation from GBAtemp's Devin has revealed that the internal PCB of this flash cartridge are identical to that of the R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe. In essence, the features of this chip and that of the R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe should be very similar, if not identical.

With the release of the new v3.0 firmware, emuNAND has been released for the 3DSLink, but does not work yet on the v7.0.0.13 firmwares. Caution is advised, and as this firmware update is a carbon copy of the Gateway 3DS firmware and R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe, be wary as it contains all the limitations and issues that are present on the Gateway 3DS firmware.

Unit behaves and functions exactly in comparison to the R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe Edition.

[anchor]d[/anchor]4. Orange 3DS

[IMG]

The Orange 3DS is a variant of the R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe edition and the 3DSLink flash chip. According to rumors, the chip is more similar to the 3DSLink flash chip. The website shares resemblances to the 3DSLink website. With this rumor, it is more than possible that the chip circuitry should be very similar if not identical.

[anchor]e[/anchor]5. MT-Card

[IMG]

A new player has emerged from behind the curtain, the MT-Card. The details of this product are still unknown, such as whether or not it's a clone or a whole new competitor. A video was released, below. Features are as follows:

Updatable USB functions, built in CPU
Multi-ROM support, SDHC card support
FAT32 Drag and Drop without need of flasher.
Save directly without need to press home
Save editor
NAND emulation
Card Dumper
[media=youtube]5kb8CdvlcVo[/media]

[anchor]f[/anchor]The Winner?

-As of this post, the winner is not clearly defined. Each chip has its own features and price range that can suit many. To say that one cartridge is a clear victor over another at this point would be premature, especially with the release of the emuNAND firmware update so close at hand. The best that can be done at this point would be to buy the cartridge that suits your budget, and play the games that you want. At this moment, homebrew is not compatible with any of these units. Please also note that your console must be within the range of the 4.1 to 4.5 firmware, with the prospect of higher firmware support unknown. (11/25/13)

-With the addition of the Orange 3DS by popular request, the above verdict still stands: there is no clear winner until the new firmwares with emuNAND and multi-ROM support are released. (11/26/13)

-With this post, I'd love to title it the war between clones, but that's unprofessional of me. With new firmware being released by Gateway 3DS, the R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe, and the 3DSLink flash kits, it is clear that the winner would be the original team, the Gateway 3DS. The R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe and 3DSLink merely took Gateway 3DS's firmware and adopted a skin over, essentially, creating a carbon copy firmware that shows little to no change. The same limitations and problems of the Gateway 3DS beta 2.0 firmware are present in all carts. The winner, again, I would have to declare is the Gateway 3DS for being the one team that could push forward with all the revisions. The only reason to consider the R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe at this point would be for budget issues. While the R4i Gold 3DS Deluxe is backed by a great and reputable team of the past, the kit's carbon copy firmware proves that the Gateway 3DS is by far the chip to own, despite a slightly pricier tag attached to it. (12/9/13)

-With the release of the MT-Card, or I should say the limited information, it raises interesting possibilities, but the key concern is whether or not this chip is a standalone device or copying off of the Gateway 3DS. I would advise caution and patience until a qualified reviewer gets their hands on the chip first. (12/19)

Thread Rules

You may use this thread to speculate about later firmware features and information.
You may use this thread to ask questions about the

[anchor]a[/anchor]text

Hi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: hey the spam bots are acting up again