.II
OP
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
When I want to use my DS the next day a lot, I like to fully drain the battery, then fully charge it over night.
To drain the battery I usually just leave it playing movies with the volume at 400%, I figure it's the most taxing thing I could make it do.

But, I was wondering if someone could make an application that uses all the DS's resources at once? I remember reading that wifi drains the batter a bit quicker too..
is this even possible?

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Doesn't the DS contain a Lithium Ion battery? Aren't those supposed to last longer and better through randomly timed, short and long charges as opposed to the old batteries that suffered from the dreaded "memory effect" if they weren't "cycled" properly?

May be wrong here, but I know the former is the case with my new mobile.

azotyp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
Doesn't the DS contain a Lithium Ion battery? Aren't those supposed to last longer and better through randomly timed, short and long charges as opposed to the old batteries that suffered from the dreaded "memory effect" if they weren't "cycled" properly?

Only Lithium Polymer batteries dont have memory effects every other does.

xSmileCrushx

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't fully draining it decrease the life span of the battery? Or perhaps speed up the decrease?

Also, Wi-Fi with Animal Crossing: Wild World is a major battery hog.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_b..._Cell_Balancing

QUOTE said:
# Unlike Ni-Cd batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a long time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40% - 60%. Lithium-ion batteries should never be "deep-cycled" like Ni-Cd batteries.[7]
# Lithium-ion batteries should never be depleted to below their minimum voltage, 2.4v to 3.0v per cell.

Interesting........ Maybe someone in the know can clear this up once and for all

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Only Lithium Polymer batteries dont have memory effects every other does.

Lithium Ion batteries don't have memory either. Most people perceive their natural lose of charge to be memory loss, but you'll get the exact same effect if you leave the battery on the shelf and don't use it.

Pigwooly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure both the ipod and DS manuals recommended fully draining, then fully charging..?
I'm pretty sure my iPOD manual said that the battery will last longest with normal usage patterns. Occasionally draining it fully, but usually recharging it when it's about 3/4 depleted. Not sure what the DS says, but I think they both use Lithium Ion batteries and therefore should be fully drained occasionally, but not regularly.

I'm not a battery expert so I could be wrong, but that's what I've read.

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_b..._Cell_Balancing

QUOTE said:
# Unlike Ni-Cd batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a long time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40% - 60%. Lithium-ion batteries should never be "deep-cycled" like Ni-Cd batteries.[7]
# Lithium-ion batteries should never be depleted to below their minimum voltage, 2.4v to 3.0v per cell.

Interesting........ Maybe someone in the know can clear this up once and for all

From personal experience, a DS or iPod or anything using an internal rechargable battery should be fully drained before usage. Reason being if the battery is not fully used and then charged it will only charge to a certain level before stopping. The level being the level of charge that the battery was at out of the box.

My original DS had an issue with battery life caused by my wanting to fully charge it out of the box. It needs to be used until death the first time around and then fully charged to allow the battery to have a longer life.

Fitzy

lebkin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My understanding of Lithium Ion batteries is that they do not have "memory" like older batteries. Most of what I know I learned from information concerning my iPod. The following information is from Apple's website (http://www.apple.com/batteries/)

"Lithium-ion batteries pack in a higher power density than nickel-based batteries. This gives you a longer battery life in a lighter package, as lithium is the lightest metal. You can also recharge a lithium-ion battery whenever convenient, without the full charge or discharge cycle necessary to keep nickel-based batteries at peak performance. (Over time, crystals build up in nickel-based batteries and prevent you from charging them completely, necessitating an inconvenient full discharge.)"

"For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month."

"A charge cycle means using all of the battery’s power, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a single charge. For instance, you could listen to your iPod for a few hours one day, using half its power, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so you may take several days to complete a cycle."

It is the charge cycles that keep the battery working correctly. It doesn't matter if you do it all at once or a little here and there. Related to this, it is my understanding that the initial charge makes no difference, though Apple does recommend a full charge before using the iPod. I think this policy is more to prevent new users from complaining about a new iPod's battery life than any physical effect on the battery's long-term life.

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wait... I'm confused by this thread...

Did I do a good thing by charging my DS out of the box?
unsure.gif

~Nero

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Nero:

It doesn't matter when you charged your battery because Lithium batteries do not have a memory. Whether it's drained or not, you can charge it whenever you want to. (That was the entire point of the Lithium battery anyway, Nickel Cadmium batteries were annoying).

Jhongerkong

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ill just stay on topic:

Here's what I do to drain the battery (my little sister thinks its broken then proceeds to stop touching it).

If you go out to work or school, just put it to full brightness and do download play. Itll be dead by the time you come home.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far