Battery drain only on Supercard DSTwo+?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Hyoretsu, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Hyoretsu
    OP

Hyoretsu Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader

Jan 17, 2016
    Brazil
    Is it only in the Plus version or in the old one too? Also:

1. How bad is it? (Both plus and normal, if it has) Does the battery duration goes from, like, 6 hours to 5.5 hours or what?
    2. Is the Gateway clone the only difference between the normal and Plus versions? No hardware or anything?

Last edited by Hyoretsu, Mar 22, 2017
  2. Distrance

Distrance 矢澤にこ

Nov 23, 2008
    Finland
    I'd imagine that any card with a built-in processor is a battery hog. If Supercard DSTWO+ has that, then it drains battery. I have the normal Supercard DSTWO and my DSi will not last very long with it, maybe 2-3 hours. Haven't used it in my 3DS as even having it just inserted will drain battery.

Why do you care anyway? There are better alternatives than Supercard DSTWO if you want RTS for example.

3. rg

rg GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2012
    For you to have an idea :

O3DS with DSTWO lasts around 6-8 hours in Standby mode if the card is inserted in the slot. I tested this myself.

Playing games it also has it's impact but as I almost never play with the DSTWO on battery i can't really tell.. but it's quite a drop.

4. Jay L

Jay L Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 1, 2013
    United States
    I just found this thread and have never been able to get more than like the 6 to 8 hours of standby time mentioned above on my new 3ds, while my other 3ds consoles seemingly get days of standby time.

I was wonderibg if there was something wrong woth my battery or console but after reading this and other similar threads the culprit is obviously the dstwo card.
    Can anyone explain why the card just being inserted is such a drain on the battery and possibly suggest an alternative card with similar features (can't one of the gateway cards be used as a 3ds flash cart; how good of a solution is that?). Also how bad does the dstwo drain the battery of a ds lite?

Thanks

5. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Because its add-on CPU is always enabled unless deliberately stopped (ie when running a regular .nds file that doesn't need it)

They don't exist, although you could buy an original R4 (unbrickable, requires cfw, 6 dollars plus relatively expensive non-HC memory card) or an r4ids.cn (18 dollars, support microSDHC) and use DS- or 3DS-mode alternatives to dstwo exclusives

The same, although on that console you're more rarely in the case of "console powered on, dstwo inserted but not being used"

Gateway blue is a rebranded "R4i" card (probably closer to a TTDS, like the less recommended r4i-sdhc.com? not sure), it was blocked before 7.0 hence you will need cfw to unlock it, and unlike the original R4 it doesn't have the same brickproofness

6. videogame57

videogame57 Yuki~! Yuki~!

Apr 27, 2014
    Canada
    Right behind you with a knife
    The onboard CPU is constantly running because the 3DS is constantly asking the card for header information, thus the card has to be constantly pretending to be Alex Rider Stormbreaker. (or whatever other game if they've changed it since I used mine)