Basic File/Program Hacking Information

Discussion in 'General Tutorials' started by Rydian, May 8, 2012.

1. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    You told me nothing I didn't know I'm afraid. I knew exactly what to do, the problem was that the exe was packed using some strange compression of something, so without figuring that out and unpacking it, I couldn't do anything.

2. TVNewsIsBiased

TVNewsIsBiased Developer

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2012
    Gambia, The
    Ah sorry for that,

Good to hear you got it all sorted :)

3. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    Well I didn't really "get it sorted", I just figured out there was nothing I could do (within what I deemed a reasonable amount of effort, at least)

4. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    In most cases when people want the same bits of code modified on each run, they just use a trainer (since very few programs read themselves into RAM verbatim anymore), but that's rather specific and beyond the scope of this guide (CE can turn the code tables into trainers though). You'd need to run it alongside the game anyways (like you'd need to run cheat engine), but at least it'd do the searching and modification for you automatically... though you can have that done in CE as well.

When you've highlighted the line of code you want to modify, you can press CTRL+A to get to the auto assembly window. In there, go to Template - Cheat Table Framework, then Template - Code Injection (and press okay with the default window that comes up). That will fill the window with all the code needed to add an automatic modification to the window.

A few lines from the top you'll see "originalcode:", and below that the original line (or lines) you selected. Simply comment out the original line (or delete it) and then go to File - Assign To Current Cheat Table, and that will add the code modification as an entry in the table (where the found addresses would be).

Save the table, and from then on you should be able to just open CE, attach to the game, and check the box to have it find and modify the code for you (and unchecking it returns the game's behavior to normal).

5. Janthran

Janthran Solarian

Sep 17, 2011
    United States
    The Pacific Northwet
    And now I realize that Cheat Engine is the same as DSTwo's freecheat.
    Cool.

6. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Eh, CE's much, much more powerful and complex. The free cheat of the DSTwo only hits the bare basics, searching for and locking addresses

7. nukeboy95

nukeboy95 Old skool member

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    The left side
    how wud one edit a game with a anti cheat?

8. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Depends on what the anti-cheat is. Running the game in a sandbox would work if it's just checking for blacklisted processes, some people have had luck hex-editing identifying strings out of programs, sometimes a VM would be needed, or a specific bypass for the game's protection... it varies a lot.

If you're trying to do this with an MMO though, don't waste your time. Multiplayer cheating is bad, and they have their important variables server-sided anyways which means you cannot access them to modify them.

9. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Addict

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    Sometimes you can use winrar on an .exe file, I know its probably useless information but its worth a shot.

In my experience when it does work usually it is because the .exe has been packed in with some support files. Then there are the commercial packing programs and from there it gets too complex for me to have ever bothered with... at least not in any manor that would be of use here.