Banwave? Luma 8.0? boot9strap?...What?!

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Lordsble, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Lordsble
    OP

Lordsble Pokémon Trainer

Feb 12, 2016
    United States
    Ok, now I'm definitely confused.

So, I'm not new to the 3DS hacking scene. I have a US o3DS, sysNAND 9.2, emuNAND 11.4, & Luma CFW. But I took a break for about a month or so, (gotta study for finals!) and just came back to see if anything is new. And I was caught off guard. I checked to see if I was part of the huge banwave, but I was lucky and was not...for now anyways. So I wanted to update to Luma 8.0, but I saw boot9strap 1.2 was needed, and I have no idea what it is exactly. I did some research but it made me even more confused. Do I need arm9loaderhax to get it? (which I don't have) Can I get it on 11.4 CFW?

Can someone help me clarify this? Thank you!

Also Friend List won't load on my emuNAND, not matter how long I wait...

Last edited by Lordsble, Jun 6, 2017
  2. DaRk_ViVi

DaRk_ViVi Sending you back... to the future!

Apr 13, 2004
    Italy
    Asti, Italy
    Follow Plailect's guide @ http://3ds.guide, you don't need A9H to get B9S (which is a better solution). :)

3. Lordsble
    OP

Lordsble Pokémon Trainer

Feb 12, 2016
    United States
    Hm...when I follow the guide for 11.4 o3DS, it says I need two 3DS's. One with boot9strap cfw, but I dont have that. And I also need a DSi game which I also don't own.
    Any other alternatives?

4. Lia

Lia is this the real life

Jan 29, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Your sysNAND is on 9.2. Follow the guide for 9.2 here.

5. VictorMoreno015

VictorMoreno015 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    United States
    Las Vegas
    From the info I gathered so far, it seems that only Boot9Strap users were the only ones affected by the banwave. My a9lh 3DS's haven't been banned yet (despite my excessive use of Homebrew .cia on those) but my b9s one has. When b9s was released the banwave happened so thats why you got to take precautions about it. However it is superior from a9lh so I'd upgrade if I were you. Since there is like 3 people who linked the guide already go upgrade there, and follow this and you should be good to go.

6. Lia

Jan 29, 2016
    United Kingdom
    People with A9LH got banned too. Pretty sure the entrypoint doesn't matter.

7. VictorMoreno015

VictorMoreno015 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    United States
    Las Vegas
    maybe so, a friend of mine got banned for playing FE: Echoes early so that may be a reason too. However when the banwave happened there was lack of a9lh users actually banned when I was looking around here and like I said, my a9lh consoles (which still are) were unaffected by the ban.

8. Brawl345

Brawl345 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    Germany
    There is no way Nintendo can detect A9LH or b9s, it's not the ban reason. It may be something really simple like the CIA hblauncher_loader, freeShop, whatever and the Titles are sent to Nintendo's server. We don't really know. The entrypoint doesn't matter. I have b9s myself, play online and use Badge Arcade everyday and haven't been banned.

9. Igu

Igu Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    Cote d'Ivoire
  10. SkyQueen

SkyQueen Arch3DS Developer || B0MBrHax

GBAtemp Patron
    SkyQueen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 23, 2016
    Japan
    Seteguya-ku, Tokyo, Japan
    Sorry but that is bologna. My menuhax old 3DS 9.2 plus my old3ds XL 11.3 A9LH ds both got banned in the wave.

Joel16 and dragonslayer817 like this.
  11. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    No one knows if the hacks are responsible for the bans, but we also cannot say is not the reason itself. We don't know what kind of information the 3ds is sending through nintendo when connected to the internet, we also don't know enough about how they receive information. We just got some random bad luck. You didn't get ban, okay, that is nice, but others did, and it appears to have no clear indication.

I have a system i actively used with a9lh Before B9s, and is banned, i have 3 more systems which i hardly use and is not banned. All are on CFW, Whatever it is, some are banned and some aren't. Some got lucky and evaded it and some got bad luck. I have new 3ds system that is actively on charging while in sleep mode with 11.2 firmware on CFW. I could just turn the wifi off when not in use, but is not like the old 3ds with a switch to do so, you have to turn it off with the home menu. (Dumb idea nintendo)

I could just as easily turn the system off when not using it, but most systems now and days you use sleep so you can keep playing sooner without delay of startup times. I just wish people stop defending the idea is impossible for them to know. I have not come to the conclusion either side is right or wrong in saying they can't know we have cfw, when I myself don't even know if the system is sending information that does help provide them with the information.

Can we just say we aren't sure if is the hacking of the system or not that cause ban? Is a more open approach than just saying "No way, nintendo has no idea is a9lh / b9s."

12. Lia

Jan 29, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Once you have installed Boot9Strap, yes.

Igu likes this.
  13. joshfrg

joshfrg Member

Newcomer
    Jun 4, 2017
    United States
    I turned off sharing spotpass info and i havent been banned yet b9s 1.2 luma 8.0

14. Lordsble
    OP

Lordsble Pokémon Trainer

Feb 12, 2016
    United States
    Ok, I followed the guide, and I think I successfully installed Luma 8.0 and boot9strap. I say "I think" because it gave me an error when I pressed start to save my Luma settings.

And anthoer thing, is there a way can access my sysNAND, because when I boot it goes straight to my emuNAND.

15. Igu

Igu Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Nice, thanks

16. Bu2d85

Bu2d85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Bu2d85 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2014
    United States
    Hold select when you power on and choose autoboot sysnand.

Edit: If you were using menuhax you need to remove it by changing the theme on sysnand.

Last edited by Bu2d85, Jun 7, 2017
  17. gamemasteru03

gamemasteru03 Nintendo nerd

Sep 18, 2016
    United States
    follow this and your emunand will become your sysnand.https://3ds.guide/move-emunand

Igu likes this.
  18. Lordsble
    OP

Lordsble Pokémon Trainer

Feb 12, 2016
    United States
    gamemasteru03 likes this.