Hardware Banned Switch?

AwesomeSaucemGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can a Switch be banned just like every other Nintendo console? Has Nintendo even handed out bans for the switch? Not a hacking question, just speculation.

AutumnWolf

JRPG enjoyer, Xenoblade, YS and DQ connoisseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Can a Switch be banned just like every other Nintendo console? Has Nintendo even handed out bans for the switch? Not a hacking question, just speculation.
Yes, for example if you use an stolen credit card to buy content off the eshop you may get banned

Last edited by AutumnWolf,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The fast answer is: yes.
They can and most likely will do it if you run anything unsigned by Nintendo on the unit. They probably won't fuck around this time, especially now since the multiplayer will cost money.

Reactions: Deleted User

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. I feel like this generation its going to be hitting hard. I feel those using homebrew and cfw down the road will be hit with permabans. It may become a choice of having online access or using homebrew/cfw and forever being unable to use online. Especially when your console unique cert is burned into the device and likely can't be modified with homebrew like we can on 3ds. When you get banned like that on switch there may never be a way around it.

AwesomeSaucemGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, for example if you use an stolen credit card to buy content off the eshop you may get banned
Any console with the capacity to access the Internet can be banned from accessing Internet-based services.
The fast answer is: yes.
They can and most likely will do it if you run anything unsigned by Nintendo on the unit. They probably won't fuck around this time, especially now since the multiplayer will cost money.
Yes. I feel like this generation its going to be hitting hard. I feel those using homebrew and cfw down the road will be hit with permabans. It may become a choice of having online access or using homebrew/cfw and forever being unable to use online. Especially when your console unique cert is burned into the device and likely can't be modified with homebrew like we can on 3ds. When you get banned like that on switch there may never be a way around it.
Yeah, because my 3DS has cfw and I used an amiibo on there that I used on my switch which doesn't have cfw (not like I'll ever get it). I made sure to delete the information off of the amiibo on my switch and reregister it. I've been wondering if it's possible that I can get banned on my switch from that amiibo. Is it possible?

Last edited by AwesomeSaucemGuy,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, because my 3DS has cfw and I used an amiibo on there that I used on my switch which doesn't have cfw (not like I'll ever get it). I made sure to delete the information off of the amiibo on my switch and reregister it. I've been wondering if it's possible that I can get banned on my switch from that amiibo. Is it possible?
Probably not from an amiibo no

Reactions: AwesomeSaucemGuy

AutumnWolf

JRPG enjoyer, Xenoblade, YS and DQ connoisseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
I don´t think so/not likely

Reactions: AwesomeSaucemGuy

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on situations. If you do something stupid (obviously) like cheating in game. Then maybe, if you steal someone's credit card info and spend money on said game, yes you can be banned. If you somehow ruin the terms of service for online then once again, yes maybe.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on situations. If you do something stupid (obviously) like cheating in game. Then maybe, if you steal someone's credit card info and spend money on said game, yes you can be banned. If you somehow ruin the terms of service for online then once again, yes maybe.
If they detect any kind of system modification they likely will ban you due to breaking TOS for the whole console. Remember the great ban wave that happened on 3ds? Many people who were banned never cheated online, some almost never even played online. Nintendo still likely do the same with switch if they detect any kind of homebrew usage. That means if we ever got either homebrew working on latest firm or some way to play newer games online with 3.0.0 (emuNAND) there would likely be bans going out. Nintendo isn't playing around this time.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Even if there's a unique cert burned into the device, it may be possible for CFW to override it and show Nintendo a different cert. We could potentially have a situation similar to the 3DS, where people who get banned just use a friend's or a public seed, or Nintendo might get smarter and ban if they see multiple copies of the same cert online simultaneously.

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they detect any kind of system modification they likely will ban you due to breaking TOS for the whole console. Remember the great ban wave that happened on 3ds? Many people who were banned never cheated online, some almost never even played online. Nintendo still likely do the same with switch if they detect any kind of homebrew usage. That means if we ever got either homebrew working on latest firm or some way to play newer games online with 3.0.0 (emuNAND) there would likely be bans going out. Nintendo isn't playing around this time.
That is true, stuff like efuses, security patches (well minus version 1.0.X - 3.0.X Since it has that major security flaw), and cartridges have been changed drastically I think to improve security on the Switch, but then again it makes me skeptical that a full security ban system to detect CFW or homebrew users is already working on the switch considering that a "test" was recently launched on the 3ds and no longer really continuing. But I could be wrong.

I don't think its something to start immedeatly worrying about considering there have been many other consoles deemed impossible to hack because of the security and they were hacked anyway. It may be possible to downgrade a Nintendo Switch at some point or not be banned for playing online but idk, I could be wrong about that.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if there's a unique cert burned into the device, it may be possible for CFW to override it and show Nintendo a different cert. We could potentially have a situation similar to the 3DS, where people who get banned just use a friend's or a public seed, or Nintendo might get smarter and ban if they see multiple copies of the same cert online simultaneously.
That was because the 3ds used a file that was able to be replaced with the help of cfw. Can't replace the file on switch, and Nintendo will likely ban any cert that is seen to have more than one instance at a time. Meaning even if we get to that point it will likely still not be enough.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool