Discussion Banned Switch Saves > ipatched Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - ROM Hacking, Saves, Translations & Tools' started by PatrickD85, Oct 15, 2018.

1. PatrickD85
    OP

PatrickD85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 4, 2012
    Netherlands
    in front of a screen...
    Well I've been looking into getting saves of my banned Switch to my ipatched Switch.

Some things worth noting on my attempts to this point.

- Ofcourse ipatched Switch can not receive a payload - just black screens
    This rules out Checkpoint to import them. (I have a full checkpoint backup of my entire banned Switch on the pc just in case)

- Ofcourse the ipatched Switch can start the Transfer User and Saves thing
    But the banned Switch can not access this due to connecting with Ninties server.(if we could 'fake' that proces, we would be ok but not likely).

- Besides Checkpoint, Devmenu allows to backups saves to SD, BUT ALSO import them.
    It seems to this in a different way, it creates a folder on the SD in the form of;
    /NintendoSDK/BackupSaveData/20181014232214_01002b30028f6000/
    with various files mapping out the savedata (account.xml, config.xml and __BackupSaveDataInfo.xml)
    But ipatched Switch cant get devmenu.
    Also it does not do anything with saves exported through Devmenu as is, I tried just to be sure.

- Crazy idea; Fill it up
    What happens when you fill up the entire local storage of the Nintendo Switch. Where do savegames go? Because what if that basically meant they got 'mapped' to an SD?
    Turns out I could test this real easy with the banned switch, as devmenu under debug offers an option to fill the Nand space.
    It results in a 0.1 MB remaining local storage.
    Then tried to start a game I had no saves for, it noted the below;

Double checked with Nintendo;
    There isn't enough free space in the Nintendo Switch console's system memory. What should I do? Applies to: Nintendo Switch >> Please use a microSD card (sold separately). About microSD Cards >> Save data can only be saved in the console's system memory.

Reversing the proces can be done with Devmenu > Debug > Empty Nand space.
    Sounds scary but keeps saves etc as normal
    -------

ok so no real feasible way I see (for now) of getting saves from a banned console to an ipatched one ... only OPEN proces in that circle is the transfer user space. Which also is a though one as that is not feasible due to the banned switched not being allowed on ninty's playground ... hmmm

If anyone has something else I can try im all ears ofcourse.

2. PatrickD85
    OP

Jul 4, 2012
    Netherlands
    in front of a screen...
    Ok tried something else I did not think of;

Local game sharing

Local Game sharing between a banned switch and the ipatched one works flawlessly
    Tried with Dead Cells, tried it with Splatoon2 of which both where older versions on the banned Switch.

So in short the two Switches can in fact connect and talk regardless there status.
    That means all we need to bypass is the online check when it comes to transferring the user account on the banned Switch. (Probably still not an easy task?)

But still this proves that besides that fact ... it should be possible to make the systems move files between them.

=====

Edit;

But anyway ... the fact it updated my Switch to 6.0.1 is pretty logical when you think about it
    some of the latest updates to games
    require a latest fw to run
    im betting Splatoon 2 is no exception too that
    so in general ... local game sharing of a game requiring a specific or latest fw
    will force an upgrade of your Nintendo Switch even if you are superbanned :P

Last edited by PatrickD85, Oct 16, 2018 - Reason: Reason for update - probably.
  3. TimeMaster

TimeMaster GBAtemp Regular

Jun 11, 2017
    Canada
    Sorry but none of this is possible. You can't "fake" the process, there's a reason you have to connect online to do it and that's connecting to ninty servers and they verify everything and give the switches the proper authentification to go through with the process. Sure the switches can talk to each other but it's impossible to modify what information the ipatched switch receives as it can't run any sort of custom software at this time.

4. PatrickD85
    OP

Jul 4, 2012
    Netherlands
    in front of a screen...
    @TimeMaster yeah I dont think it will be easy. But the main thing where there is a gap is that the process needs the login only on the side other side. The destination console needs the login to the account. Not the the banned one.

But who knows.

Also something I just noted; the banned switch has NO online access.
    But after doing the local game sharing with the mentioned two games.
    It now has firmware 6.0.1 ... ... but how ... it has no access to online (as in eshop and cdn ban)
    I am gonna look into what has happend here because this is ... weird.

5. TimeMaster

Jun 11, 2017
    Canada
    Updating the Game also system updates the system if done locally between a updated system and non updated system just so you know. Nothing special

Last edited by TimeMaster, Oct 16, 2018
  6. PatrickD85
    OP

Jul 4, 2012
    Netherlands
    in front of a screen...
    You assume a lot ... as in that this all is commonly known by everyone ... I can assure you it is not. Atleast not in the sense of it updating a superbanned system in the process.

But hey please by all means keep being the one who seems to be all knowing. Very helpful, very interesting, very meh.

7. TimeMaster

Jun 11, 2017
    Canada
    I’m not trying to put your stick in the mud, I’m just trying to be realistic. Whether or not it’s commonly known by anyone it’s the truth. Im sorry