Banjo-Kazooie (N64)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Reviews & Guides' started by Forstride, Dec 12, 2008.

Dec 12, 2008

Banjo-Kazooie (N64) by Forstride at 2:16 AM (926 Views / 0 Likes) 0 replies

1. Forstride
    OP

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    [​IMG]

Banjo-Kazooie Review
    By AnimalCrossingX
    • System: Nintendo 64
    • Developer: Rare Ltd.
    • Release Date: May 31st, 1998
    • Players: 1
    • ESRB Rating: E
    To start off with my review, I'd like to tell you that Banjo-Kazooie is my favorite game of all time, but I'll try to make my opinions as unbiased as possible. All of this was just typed now (Starting at 8:15 PM EST, December 11, 2008), and not copied from another website.

Banjo-Kazooie was considered one of the greatest games in the Nintendo 64's history by many gamers, both casual and hardcore. Banjo-Kazooie is a game of adventure and action, starring a bear named Banjo and his female breegull friend Kazooie. The game doesn't start off by showing the main character(s), but rather the antagonist of the game; Gruntilda Winkybunion. She is trying to find the most beautiful girl throughout Isle 'O Hags so she can swap bodies and become attractive. As you can guess, she finds one. It happens to be Banjo's sister Tooty, who Grunty ends up capturing. Banjo and Kazooie end up going on an exhausting journey through nine levels, collecting jigsaw pieces (Jiggies) to open up new levels, and musical notes to open up areas throughout Gruntilda's Lair.

The graphics of the game were breathtaking for it's time, and the level design of some levels blew those of other games such as Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time away. Most of the nine levels in the game took around one to three hours to complete fully, which means collection all Jiggies, Notes, Jinjos, and other items that help you progress farther into the game.

[​IMG]

The soundtrack of Banjo-Kazooie was also a great aspect of the game. Every area of Grunty's Lair sounds different depending on what level you're near, which is a really cool aspect of the game in my opinion. The soundtrack, composed by Grant Kirkhope, was sold on CD at Best Buy and through the Nintendo Power Catalog.

Most importantly, the gameplay aspect of the game is on a high level. The game itself takes around 10 hours to complete fully if you like to take your time, but around 3 hours if you're trying to do a speed run. The game runs smooth, with no glitches or lag. The levels are somewhat vast, but some are very easy, such as Mumbo's Mountain and Mad Monster Mansion. Throughout these levels are mole hills where you learn new moves that help you get more collectible items in levels. You can also transform into certain creatures, such as a termite or a pumpkin, in certain levels with the help of Mumbo Jumbo and his Mumbo Tokens. In my opinion, you can play this game as much as you want, and it will never get old. One thing I didn't mention that I thought would help this review is that the controls play very well. It may be a little bit difficult to get used to them, but once you do, you'll beat the game in no time.

Here are the scores for certain aspects of the game based on my review:
    • Gameplay: 9/10
    • Graphics: 8/10
    • Sound: 10/10
    • Controls: 8.5/10
    • Replayability: 6/10
    Banjo-Kazooie is still my favorite game of all time, and nothing will change that. I had a lot of fun writing this review, reminding me of the memories I had playing it when I was younger (Even though I just played through it recently). Thanks for reading.