Bandwidth allocation.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Can anyone offer some useful advice on my situation.

I currently live in an area where the internet bandwidth i have is inferior to most , and cannot simple pay my way out of this. I have an average speed of 5megs . Connected to this Router (D-Link DSL-3780) are several devices , primarily A PC on a RJ45 connection , 1 PC on NEtwrork over Power adaptor , 1 Laptop on wireless , 1 PS4 , and a couple of phones intermitantly . Now the main issue is my lil girl will be on the Wired PC on netflix , My sons tying to game on hes PC , and either the ps4 or the laptop or sometimes both are also gaming , skyping , you tubeing etc . Usually the video streams kill the ping on gamers.

So my mission is to balance the bandwidth allocation between these somehow , ive read a little on my routers Qos , but its a little vague and complex . Also have read a little on OpenDNS . But i would like if anyone else has these issues for you to offer me your ideas and or workarounds to keep a balanced ( keep my kids from killing each other) internet .

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your router might not support it. I would look around for other router that do support it. Most home router they don't put any thing cool on them, because 99% of the people that use them, just plug them in and it just works, and that is all they care about.

If that doesn't work you can also look in the hacked firmware of routers, but it only works on certain routers. http://www.dd-wrt.com is one the does it.

Or I would look in to industrial routers, yes they are expensive new, but used, you can some times get them for free, if your know the right people. Just look at surplus.

http://www.untangle.com/ os is free and probably can do what you want if you have a spare PC (which you can get for nothing if it is used or what not)

RCJayce

The Defender Of Tomorrow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi you can test Net Limiter Pro, it allows you to control every program/game that uses internet and adding a maximum bandwidth for every program. You have to install it on every PC but maybe it will be helpful for you

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi you can test Net Limiter Pro, it allows you to control every program/game that uses internet and adding a maximum bandwidth for every program. You have to install it on every PC but maybe it will be helpful for you
Only issue would be having it on his phones and the ps4 though(but I'm not sure)

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
no trace of my shitty isp router on that dd-wrt site. I could maybe get a hold of a better router from work , would have to see on that...

The phones arent regularly used on the net enough to cause an issue i dont beleive , however i dont want to limit the PC,s to the benefit of the consoles.. is why i was looking more into the router than a per machine setting.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no trace of my shitty isp router on that dd-wrt site. I could maybe get a hold of a better router from work , would have to see on that...

The phones arent regularly used on the net enough to cause an issue i dont beleive , however i dont want to limit the PC,s to the benefit of the consoles.. is why i was looking more into the router than a per machine setting.
This may help you but you will need a new router
http://lifehacker.com/344765/turn-your-60-router-into-a-user-friendly-super-router-with-tomato

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Skill issue.