Ban for using CFW?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Xepherous, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Xepherous
    OP

Xepherous Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Hi all - I'm new to the community

I have an R4i 3DS Gold Plus on its way to me and I'm very excited to CFW my 2DS XL.

However upon doing research there was a ban wave in May/June of loads of CFW devices? My question is: Are Nintendo still banning people as of late and what steps can I take to prevent being banned?

Thanks!

-Xepherous

2. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    If you're stupid, you get banned. If you're smart and careful, Nintendo can't notice the CFW.

Don't use CIA homebrew or out of region, or modified games online, and don't connect to the internet if one of those is the last application launched.

Lemon_, E1ite007 and GilgameshArcher like this.
  3. Xepherous
    OP

Xepherous Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Thanks, if I was to get games from freeshop and play online would it cause a ban? Sounds silly to ask but I read that using freeshop doesn't (whereas using sky3ds could - public and private headers and all of that)

WintendoZone likes this.
  4. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    Like people who got banned for playing Pokemon S/M online before it was even officially released. I mean, you're just asking to get banned if you do something this stupid.

GilgameshArcher likes this.
  5. Xepherous
    OP

Xepherous Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I know that, but that doesn't explain the people who got banned in masses in May/June does it?

6. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    Most of them had SpotPass or that friend list option enabled

7. Xepherous
    OP

Xepherous Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Right that's fine. I turned off all that as soon as I got the DS lol, thanks for your responses. :)

8. Toasty

Toasty Queen

Apr 1, 2011
    United States
    Toledo OH
    If you install CFW and/or download software you didn't pay for, you run the risk of being banned. Turning off spotpass won't save you, Nintendo knows if you install CFW. Nobody can say for sure if Nintendo will ban you or not, it's unlikely, but it does happen sometimes.

E1ite007, aos10 and Xepherous like this.
  9. Windylacine

Windylacine GBAtemp Fan

Apr 15, 2016
    Denmark
    That has to do with the fact, Developers released Bootrom exploit that bypass all sorts of software updates, causing Nintendo to lose their minds and the fight last year.

That causes bans unrelated to piracy, leaked games and all, there is no way to know the cause of said bans.
    Though It appears banwave had ended for a long while ago, there are absolutely no reports of further bans aside from shared LCFS_B bans.

I wasn't affected by that banwave, I had to get rid of all unauthorized applications like CIAs and nuked Data of activity logs and PTM from any of my 3DS units just to lay low.

Sophie-bear and Xepherous like this.
  10. Mikemk

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    If you use the homebrew launcher version (3dsx) it's safe as far as anyone knows. Nintendo doesn't appear to have the ability to check eshop history against installed titles, and they don't really care about 3ds users anymore.

Xepherous likes this.
  11. EQQ

EQQ Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2018
    Vietnam
    So far as long as you follow the 3ds.guide suggestion (spotpass off, automatic off and friends) and you never go online with modified cias (like a translation) or too new games (like that pokemon game), what you must remember is to never enable spotpass/streetpass on any game for any reason. If that game pretend spotpass delete it and find better/play offline. Pay attention at first load of a new game, a prompt may pop asking if you want to share informations with nintendo etc, press no.
    Stay far from miiplaza, best place to get banned.
    Don't create nor use a nnid. It logs everything = ban

Last edited by EQQ, Jan 14, 2018
    Xepherous likes this.
  12. Xepherous
    OP

Xepherous Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Thanks! I never intended to use a NNID it doesn't have any perks for me haha

EQQ likes this.
  13. Mikemk

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Bit extreme. I use streetpass and have an NNID, as long as you're careful it's fine.

duwen, xRin, Lemon_ and 1 other person like this.
  14. Xepherous
    OP

Xepherous Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I guess but the steps the user outlined is being careful for me

15. lone_wolf323

lone_wolf323 GBAtemp Addict

May 27, 2011
    Canada
    The steps that user listed is basically explaining how your banning yourself not for beinging careful about using your console.

GilgameshArcher likes this.
  16. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    thats not exactly true . . . i have like cfw 7 3ds family systems they all saw the same lack of "prevention" only one got banned and it was a console i havent used for 6 months before the ban . . . while my main system (and the 5 others) were fine

no no it does not

17. Freqman

Freqman Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 22, 2007
    Canada
    i already made a NNID before i installed CFW, hopefully it doesnt bite me in the ass.. what happens if i disable my NNID? do i have to re-install all of the games? do i lose saves?

18. lone_wolf323

lone_wolf323 GBAtemp Addict

May 27, 2011
    Canada
    That doesnt have a thing to do with anything. You are fine using a NNID

19. Xepherous
    OP

Xepherous Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2018
    United Kingdom
    All of the things mentioned are just precautionary tbh

20. Jukrae

Jukrae Member

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2017
    Germany
    Is it possible to be banned by using the freeshop on a 3DS?