BAM model viewer?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by RussiaSushi, Mar 23, 2016.

1. RussiaSushi
    OP

RussiaSushi Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2011
    United States
    Is there a viewer that can display BAM format models? I've found some in games like Persona Q and the Etrian Odyssey games, but have had no luck in finding a viewer. Ohana3DS Rebirth doesn't recognize them, by the way.

ArcPh1r3 likes this.
  2. Rayzark

Rayzark giooig

Nov 11, 2015
    Italy
    Roma
    try to convert them, you can find online converters.

3. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai nut neutrality

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    Alberta
    *.BAM should be the Panda3D model format. I can go and dig around for an import script for Blender.
    EDIT: Panda3D comes with an *.EXE called "bam2egg.exe", and once you've converted *.BAM to *.EGG you can convert that to something like *.FLT or *.X.

Last edited by Tomato Hentai, Mar 24, 2016
  4. RussiaSushi
    OP

RussiaSushi Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2011
    United States
    Unfortunately, Panda3D's bam2egg doesn't seem to be compatible with the 3DS's BAM models. It gives me an error like:
    :loader(error): en001a.bam is not a valid BAM file.
    Unable to read.

The only effect it seems to have on these files is creating a 0 byte .EGG file.
    I tried this with several different BAM files from Persona Q and Etrian Odyssey IV, but none of what I tried was recognized. Not even the bam-info program could read them. (Gave the same error)

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  5. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai nut neutrality

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    Alberta
    That's strange. I guess there might be a possibility that they're serialized or actually a different format entirely or something.

6. RussiaSushi
    OP

RussiaSushi Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2011
    United States
    So after asking around on TCRF, a member informed me that the BAM files are actually containers for another 3DS model format: CGFX or BCH. These files are viewable in Ohana3DS Rebirth, but the BAM container itself is not. You have to extract the CGFX/BCH from the BAM file.
    I managed to extract them by deleting everything before the CGFX string in the file using a hex editor, but there's probably an easier way to do this that I don't know of. My extraction method might not work for all of the BAM files, but it definitely works for a good number of them.
    Maybe someone who's familiar with Every File Explorer could make a plugin for these files, if there isn't one already.

Last edited by RussiaSushi, Mar 28, 2016