Hacking Bad Form, SoftMii Crew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jizmo09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whow... Dont know why i'm even bothering to reply with big words like ethics being thrown around, but I'll try my best.

BTW, had to created a new account as my normal account is either banned or messed up. Anyways, here's my two cents worth.

Issue 1: Why aren't Clarky, Jizmo, Skarface and DigityDogs hanging out on GBATemp anymore? This is a tough one since I've always loved GBATemp and the people here. As everybody knows since about September the Wii hacking threads have exploded, as has the number of users. The amount of repeat questions and the number of incorrect responses is massive. The haters/flamers seem to have taken root and sprouting up all over the place. Also forums are just too slow of a communications system for the stuff we are doing, hence why you don't see any updates or info on here (at least not often) about the stuff we're experimenting with. So we moved to IRC and made our own forums so that we can avoid the clutter. Plus, on IRC people can come and get instant help with SoftMii related problem. Much more efficient and easier on us. This is really all I have to say about our presence here...

Issue 2: Money/Profiting from SoftMii. WHAT? WTF are you talking about? I'd like to get in on some of this money. Can somebody please tell me where it is so I can get in on the action. The few measly donations we have received

Jizmo09

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fukseliten said:
Remember ,these are just normal guys , not coders or hacker anything like that . They just put a bunch of other peoples tools in a package with a nice manual to make it easier for the n00bs to play backups .
Dont be so hard on them , they are probably not experienced in the ethics of most devs\coders when it comes to how to release stuff .

Hrmmm..... well I dont know if I'd go so far as to say that. I've been hacking stuff since about 1978 so I kinda consider myself a hacker. And we've got people Adding BRLYT code to the system menu and things like that. Not just changing a few bytes, but actually adding code. So i would consider that coding. But you got the normal guys thing right. If you consider a 50 year old man who lost his job 2 week ago because another company bought the company he worked for for 16 years then fired everybody, and who now sits around trying to make new stuff for people's Wii's for free, and only finds sanity in the world by playing Rock Band 2 online (only hard level) at very loud volumes because the Bass in his Sony big screen kick serios ass normal? Then yea, you got that part dead on.

spawn844

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why not do what alot of people do? Type in the application you want then beside it put megaupload or rapidshare you will find what you want in a second and you wont be giving them any money by signing up.
However thats kinda rude.if you like what they have you shoild give a little. Like the games for wii you like. if you like it you pay for it right?

jacklaidlaw

Trophies
XP
Country
mikeyt1998 said:
Alexrose and Jacklaidlaw... *FACEPALM MAXIMUM*

ether is a very helpful and respected person in this community and always has a good reason for his posts.

hence, dont try to argue with him as he'll be able to take you down with his vast knowledge lol

also, you are both a disgrace to england.

and i had to use 'facepalm' because i laughed my arse off when neodraven said it.

good job i aint english then aint it just because he is respected here dont make his post any more valid/unvalid

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't care about the whole subject, I'm just trying to say that this thread doesn't contain any kind of discussion about hacking at all, are we correct..?? can you understand this point of view..?? or there is no way for you to understand why this thread is in the WRONG section...??
huh.gif

Zendeavor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Look how many people said something to the effect of, "I am removing SoftWii and sticking with Gamma and the HBC because of the shit Skarface pulled". I saw no less than half a dozen posts regarding that exact statement.

Lol, 6 people said they're going to stop using Softmii? zomg, end of da wurldz!

Get a grip, no one was ever forced to use the sharedcash link first of all.
Second of all, it requires no participation from the downloader. Only the input of an email address, which can be faked on the spot if need be. Nothing else is necessary, so get your facts straight and stop acting like an ignorant fool.
Third, just guess how much money they've made off the advertiser? Last check with Skarface was less than 30 downloads at maybe 20 cents a pop. Watch out, next thing you know the whole team will be blinging bright by next week!

Finally, the vast majority of all of you using the Softmii pack will be doing so for purposes of heavy pirating. So wtf is your problem with faking an email address and clicking *Download now!* It takes 3 effing seconds, and helps pay a negligible portion of hosting costs.

Also, what's the big deal about the fact that Skar didn't waste his time to warn you "Oh hey this goes through an advertiser program where you have to make up an email addy and click download, so WATCH OUT BECAUSE I WOULDN'T WANT ANYTHING UNEXPECTED YET COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT AND MEANINGLESS TO HAPPEN"

Grow up.

games2007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What the hell is even going on here?
I've been downloading Softmii since 0.95 came out and I've never paid for a link? I just googled, Softmii (insert version number here) download, got the torrent or whatever, then downloaded it. Why would you sign up for third-party offers to get a download link?
I always thought that it, like all Wii homebrew software, was completely free of charge.

Now I'll wait as I'll probably get flamed. At least I have the good sense not to give in to flaming or flame someone else. It's a good thing I was born with a brain, otherwise I might actually do that!

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
'Jizmo09' no wonder you got banned lol you already double posted on this new account on your first 2 posts XD

jacklaidlaw said:
good job i aint english then aint it just because he is respected here dont make his post any more valid/unvalid

clearly with that 'i aint english then 'aint it'' comment you cant be doing well in school. if you go of course and arent a 40 year old uneducated person.

and i never said it was valid. but it was relevant to the topic at hand in the fact that its in the wrong place. neither of us are helping this topic out now lol.

i'm surprised it hasnt been closed by now anyways... its just a big complaint and debate lol

NeoDraven

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
algols-place.chatango.com
XP
Country
United States
I love these children, telling me what to do. It's an internet forum, kids. People can say whatever they want. Mods can delete and ban, but you should get used to it. Once you get your own house and pay your own bills, you'll understand.

I mean, seriously; what if I DIDN'T knock it off? With what weight or authority are you giving me orders, boy? So you don't like what I said. Don't read it. I offer you the same solution you offered me; go fuck yourself.

And, Jizmo is pretty much dead on. It's not the SoftMii crew I was ranting at. It was just Skarface, in particular, and alone.

I made this post so there was ONE post for everyone to be able to gripe about how they felt about that link. And, yes, there most certainly were several pages of people posting how they felt, in a previous topic. This was designed to get someone's attention.

I think the greatest part of all of this is one simple rule; even bad press is good press. Drama creates attention. Because of this, I bet people go searching to find that topic so they can click the link that Skarface posted, and see what all the fuss was about.

Wouldn't it be beautiful irony if my post brought more revenue to the SoftMii team? No thanks necessary; just pay it forward.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NeoDraven said:
I love these children, telling me what to do. It's an internet forum, kids. People can say whatever they want. Mods can delete and ban, but you should get used to it. Once you get your own house and pay your own bills, you'll understand.

I mean, seriously; what if I DIDN'T knock it off? With what weight or authority are you giving me orders, boy? So you don't like what I said. Don't read it. I offer you the same solution you offered me; go fuck yourself.

well....that was kind of counter-productive.
you basically just admitted there is no reason for this topic.
as the OP, you open yourself to flaming, but now you've let your own comments degrade.
hope it gets closed.

WiiPwn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
NeoDraven said:

Like you said, it's an internet forum so Skarface as the same right as you in posting that link....
Once again like you said, sure we don't like what you said, don't read it bla bla bla.... Well you didn't like that link so don't download from it or make useless threads....
SO GO FUCK YOURSELF!

.... "don't like what I said. Don't read it."

djgarf

I Am A Raver
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
i closed the other topic for a reason then u go and make another one?
are you a retard?
do you keep your brain in your ass?

topic closed,make another and i will quite happily ban you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think