Hacking Backup Loading?

Deleted member 191657

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, about backup loading.
(Don't take anything I say as facts, I'm not involved in any technical stuff due to lack of time and skill)

Hekate (which conseguently uses a stripped down version of Atmosphére) supports exeFS redirection (which is used to load hbmenu) in a quite simple manner:
you just create on your SD a folder called atmosphere/titles/TITLEID/exefs and put your 'main' and 'main.npdm' inside.

(Here's a list of titleIDs http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Title_list/Games)
You can do this with any title (including game cartridge).

Out of curiosity I attempted to load Zelda:BotW exeFS with this method and it did indeed load (or I think it did) just to crash soon after saying that "The software has been closed".
What of course we are missing (or I think we are) is romFS redirection (which was implemented in one of the latest Atmosphére commits).

If anyone wants to play with this, be my guest.

(Once again, I feel to need to reiterate that I could be, and probably am, wrong.)

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(Don't take anything I say as facts, I'm not involved in any technical stuff due to lack of time and skill)

Hekate (which conseguently uses a stripped down version of Atmosphére) supports exeFS redirection (which is used to load hbmenu) in a quite simple manner:
you just create on your SD a folder called atmosphere/titles/TITLEID/exefs and put your 'main' and 'main.npdm' inside.

(Here's a list of titleIDs http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Title_list/Games)

Out of curiosity I attempted to load Zelda:BotW exeFS with this method and it did indeed load (or I think it did) just to crash soon after saying that "The software has been closed".
What of course we are missing (or I think we are) is romFS redirection (which was implemented in one of the latest Atmosphére commits).

(Once again, I feel to need to reiterate that I could be, and probably am, wrong.)
I think this is relevant.
Not directly, but once layeredfs is implemented you could inject both exefs and romfs into an already installed title and then change the titleid in npdm to run a backup in place of a installed game.

Not a end user solution or a intended feature, but very exploitable.

doofdilla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

(Here's a list of titleIDs

You are right and on the right track :)

veddermandan

Trophies
Website
youtu.be
XP
Country
Australia
If you wanna pirate go ahead, backup your games or try before you buy or whatever.

My gripes is when someone profits from taking away game sales. If you're gonna pirate do it for free. That way no one is losing or gaining from said loss.

It's a morality thing. Also judging by how gateway played out I wouldn't give a dime for piracy these days. It was different back in the day when you absolutely had to get hardware for it, because there was no storage to install a soft hack to or load Homebrew/backups from. Looking at cartbased systems, gba, ds, as well as GameCube and the like. Softhacks started being a thing with the Wii more or less. (I know Xbox and PS2 had as well but they were kinda different or late)

Its only recently piracy was free.
Almost all previous generations required hardware to be purchased to mod the console. Whether they were modchips or flashers or usbs. Or even everdrives for cartridge based consoles

Guess you're a bit young

Reactions: 210modz

doofdilla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Almost all previous generations required hardware to be purchased to mod the console. Whether they were modchips or flashers or usbs. Or even everdrives for cartridge based consoles

Guess you're a bit young

I'm old enough to remember the good old psx swap trick :)

But you are right, even in the SNES days we had to purchase hardware to be able to load games from a 3.5" floppy disk

scionae

*clicking circles*
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

This is the closest we can get right now. Really nice! Let's wait for the 15th :)

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country

Guess you're a bit young
dude did you even read my post? I literally said that.
point is when you have the option to pirate for free, always do that.

MonMonz

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt

Guys we are getting closer

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes and its usually years after a paid for solution is available. So when thats the case always go the paid for solution

No. You wait.
Only get paid solution when its the only way because technical reasons. Like gba and nds, there's no internal memory, you need a cart wether it's for Homebrew or backups, then it's justified.

kingfrost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also don't understand paying for piracy but it's your money.

What bugs me is the people saying howball the games suck and then post about how they're gonna buy this to pirate them. It's like they have no self awareness.

Exzels1or

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Hi first sorry for mistakes and if my english isn´t 100% correct.

Can you explain how exactly got to this error massage after the attempt to launch BOTW.

Deleted member 191657

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi first sorry for mistakes and if my english isn´t 100% correct.

Can you explain how exactly got to this error massage after the attempt to launch BOTW.

- Extract exeFS from any game using hactool or hactoolGUI
- Put it in sdcard:/atmoshpere/titles/TITLEID/exefs
- Run the title you just redirected using Hekate/Atmoshpére

Exzels1or

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So i have to use the words " TITLEID " and not the numbers of the game I try to launch ? can I leave the existing folder or have I to delete the old one with the 2 files inside ?

Last edited by Exzels1or,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also