Backup loaders effects on the wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by sanoblue, Oct 1, 2008.

Oct 1, 2008
  1. sanoblue
    OP

Member sanoblue The Fuzzy Blue Woof!

United States
    can the backup loader wear down my laser in my wii? since it is running at a lower speed?

2. santorix10

Member santorix10 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Read speed may not have anything to do with the laser, but I don't now how DVDX works...

The main issue I have with the loader (or is it DVDX?) is that if you leave the Wii sitting there, it'll never shut off the disc drive. You need to exit the game you're playing to shut the drive off.

3. sanoblue
    OP

Member sanoblue The Fuzzy Blue Woof!

United States
    hadnt noticed that actually... i know that the wii reads the backups through a sub wii feature used for dvds which is half the speed of full wii games.. 3x vs 6x

im wondering if the wear and tear on the laser might be more at risk

4. noobwarrior7

Member noobwarrior7 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    NO
    it's fine
    the function being exploited is a natural function the drive itself was designed for
    Nintendo merely had it "disabled"

it is very different from if you made a physical alteration adjusting the intensity of the laser
    (ps2er's know it as pot-tuning)

that could wear it out somewhat quicker
    still, you'd have a lot of time.
    also, the dvd drive in the wii is a pure dvd-rom drive
    which are known for being a lot more durable than dvd/cd combo drives

5. Foppzter

Member Foppzter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    Technically you are wearing down your laser anytime you use it, no matter if it's a original disc or a burned copy.

6. thinkoutsidetheb

Newcomer thinkoutsidetheb Advanced Member

Canada
    Just be careful it doesn't turn you to the dark side...

7. Sstew

Member Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

United States
    The laser will wear down regardless, I dont think the loaders will have any negative effect on your Wii, unless you screw up the softmod [​IMG]

8. noobwarrior7

United States
    they only add a harmless cIOS, and a hidden DVD channel, both of which easily removed
    they only use functions that were already present in the Drive
    so...
    the backup-loader(s) could not ever damage your wii,
    unless you used them to try and load your backed-up scrambled eggs.

9. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    The key phrase here is "at your own risk".

You're running software, and reading a disc type, that Nintendo doesn't officially support.

It shouldn't cause any problems. But in the event that happens, they have no obligation to help you.

Aside from paid repairs of course. Since unauthorized programs break warranty.

10. HowardC

Member HowardC GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Speaking from someone who understands the hardware behind a dvd drive, you can NOT wear your drive down any quicker by it spinning slower. If anything running games at 3x will EXTEND the life of your drive. Lasers don't wear out, at least not in a timespan you ever have to worry about. The only thing that ever fails in an optical drive is the bearing that the disc spins on. Since it's going slower there is actually less wear on your drive.

11. noobwarrior7

United States
    you sir, are a genius. thanks for a clear answer, that is sure to be ignored by the next hundred people who ask again.

12. BrandonG777

Newcomer BrandonG777 Member

United States
    Just curious. I had a PS2 that I used swap magic disc on, which basically you just disable all the door open sensors and start the swap magic disc, it stops spinning and says put in your backup copy and it boots your backup. Now, you say lasers don't wear out. However, I was watching a DivX movie on a DVD+R and the laser lens melted and put a burn mark on my disc. No BS. I'm not saying it was due to the swap magic, but it happened to me and a lot of people say playing DVD-R stress the laser. Something I will add playing a DivX movie the drive probably wasn't running faster than 2x if that fast so I doubt the slower speed helps your drive last any longer.

Another point I will bring up. Since I modded my Wii and my previous PS2 they got played a CRAPLOAD more than they use to so the fact that my PS2 burnt up I kind of just attributed it to more use. If my Wii burns up once a year I'm just going to charge it to the game and go buy another. Being that my Wii sat for the first.. oh year of it's life since I didn't want to go buy a bunch of games that my 2 year old would just rack across our tile floor.

For those of you still confused... new wii drive = $125, 50 games = $2000. Let's see what makes more sense.

13. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    While the above math is correct I disagree that it will damage the wii any. Sure it get's more use resulting in more wear and tear......... but honestly I have to agree that the slower speed does help the disk. If you were watching a divx video on a burnt disk why the hell did you use swap magic? if burnt prorely the PS2 should have played it right away...........

14. Leeuwtje

Newcomer Leeuwtje Member

Netherlands
    lasers tend to wear down sooner on COPIED discs no matter what console. Copied discs have more errors on them then originals, thats why the laser has to work harder most of the time to get same result as with a retail disc. Rereading the same piece on a disc coz of read errors could also wear down/burnmark the disc.

thats my 2 cents about the matter