Backup help

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by midnight1001, Oct 15, 2012.

Oct 15, 2012

Backup help by midnight1001 at 5:19 AM (365 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. midnight1001
    OP

Newcomer midnight1001 Advanced Member

Australia
    Hi everyone.
    Ok so I've decided that when the ios6 jailbreak for iPad comes I'm going to update my jailbroken iPad 3 to ios6. My question is that I have a lot of cydia and a few pirated *snip* apps installed currently on ios5.1.1. What is the easiest way to backup all my apps ands saves and then restore them in the new ios6. And how do I go about updating my jailbroken iPad to the latest firmware.
    Thanks in advance for any help

2. 3bbb7

Member 3bbb7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  3. Izen

Member Izen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    iTunes saves any save-able app data whenever it performs a backup, as does iCloud. iTunes can also back-up the apps themselves if you select "Transfer Purchases" from the context menu for your device in the sidebar. Just because iTunes can back up the apps does not mean iTunes can install them on your device later. iTunes can only installed apps that your device has the rights to, unless you have a jalbroken device with tweaks that allow otherwise.

Openbackup and Pkgbackup work well to back-up Cydia tweaks, but I prefer a Cydia App called AptBackup. It generates a list of all the Cydia packages you have installed and from what repo you installed them from, so all you have to do is re-enter all the repos you previously have and AptBackup will download and install them for you. I like this one in particular because it simply lists everything in a small text file instead of storing the whole packages, so it takes up less storage and when you restore via AptBackup, it automatically downloads the most up-to-date versions of the packages you had installed.

Updating will be as simple as connecting your device to your computer and restoring it in iTunes. iTunes will do all the work for you. Do no attempt to update your device OTA from the Settings app as it will fail and, though unlikely, render your device in a temporarily unusable state.