Backup 3DS Game Cartridge?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Genshrooms, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Genshrooms
    OP

Genshrooms Member

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2013
    Canada
    When I go to Nintendo DS Profile Settings from my Gateway card, there is an option called Backup 3DS Game Cartridge.

What does this do?
    Does it create a ROM of the game inside the 3DS (retail game cartridge in 3DS?)?
    So will it make a ROM that can be used by Gateway (file can be copied from SD card, then put file in root of microSD card, then put microSD in Gateway Red card and you can load and play the game?
    How does this work (I'm assuming put in Blue Gateway card, Nintendo DS Profile Setting, take out Blue card, insert retail game, select Backup 3DS Game Cartridge and the ROM will be in the SD card?)?

So for example, could I borrow a friend's retail game cartridge, use Backup 3DS Game Cartridge then I will have the game/ROM (which I can put on Gateway Red card to play)?

2. Arnold0

Arnold0 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 1, 2011
    France
    Vire, France
    Yes it's exactly that (but you don't need to put back blue card, just start the exploit.)
    Then dumped rom will be a 3DS file on root of 3DS SD card and you can copy it to the red card microSD to play it.

Sirius64 likes this.
  3. donkeymilk

donkeymilk GBAtemp Regular

Sep 20, 2012
    United States
    I have a GW and a Sky3D, but my sysNAND is 9.2, is there any way I can start dumping my ROMs in anticipation of the new GW release or do I have to wait?

If I understand correctly, the blue card is just a R4i, but is there firmware that will run to let me dump my ROMs to SD? Or is there a way to load something to RAM with Sky and then replace the cart in the slot and dump?

Been out of the scene since GBA carts, so I'm relearning things a bit.

4. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    You have to wait.

The rom dumping feature is part of Gateway's loader, so you need an exploitable console to do it. So you will have to wait until they release their 9.2 exploit.

Sirius64 likes this.
  5. Genshrooms
    OP

Genshrooms Member

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2013
    Canada
    So doing this (dump ROMs, get ROMs from retail games), does nothing to the original retail game, right?
    So the retail 3DS game cartridge should still work (still be playable and save files still work)?

6. CrispyYoshi

CrispyYoshi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    From my understanding this shouldn't affect your retail cart. However, keep in mind that each game card has a unique header when they connect online, so if you and your friend connect at the same time under the same header, it's possible you are vulnerable for banning.

Sirius64 likes this.
  7. thedarkmesh

thedarkmesh Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2014
    Clayton North, Victoria
    So if I back-up my own games, and load into the Gateway and also have the current emuNAND eg. 9.4 working I can take these online? No other steps need to be taken?

8. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2002
    You'll need to change the file extension from .3ds to .3dz for gateway to recognise that it's a game you intend to go online with.

Sirius64 likes this.
  9. Genshrooms
    OP

Genshrooms Member

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2013
    Canada
    So is that all the steps to play a ROM online (using Gateway)?
    Simply, rename the ROM to .3dz and put that 3dz file on the microSD (which goes to red Gateway card)? Is that it?

Also, I heard that if you made a save file for the ROM.3ds, then that save file won't be compatible with the ROM.3dz, so you will have to restart. Is that true?

10. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
  11. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    Thread hijack incoming, because no one answers questions in the 3DS noob paradise anymore.

Does anyone know why my private dump of a US alpha sapphire retail cart (being played via Gateway classic mode on an EU console) is telling me the save is corrupted when I mount the ROM in emuNAND? Do i need to rename to .3DZ?

12. Glisern

Glisern Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2007
    Norway
    I have seen "card2" being mentioned several times, and I have still not figured out/understood what it means. Could you please explain it?

13. thedarkmesh

thedarkmesh Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2014
    Clayton North, Victoria

I have the same issue but with a Back-Up I made with Gateway (PAL Cart), but the US ROM works fine prob due to no existing save file. Yep I got no idea how Card2 works lol

14. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yes rename to .3dz to use your save

15. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France

It means that the game saves inside the rom, and not and the sd card like card1 games. Card2 games represent less than 1% of all 3ds games though.

Glisern likes this.
  16. Glisern

Glisern Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2007
    Norway
    oooooh, then all the discussion I have seen makes sense at last. Thank you! :)

17. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8

Lol thanks dude, i did it earlier today and it worked. BTW, that's the second time now you've advised me to that :P

18. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    anything and everything can be resolved by renaming to .3dz :lol:

19. Genshrooms
    OP

Genshrooms Member

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2013
    Canada
    Wait, so what if I get/download a ROM from online?
    Would I have this problem if I rename the downloaded ROM to .3dz? Then I try to go online with this ROM, would there be a chance that I could get banned?

I'm assuming ROMs you can download from online are someone's ROM dump of the game. So if I tried to use this ROM online, wouldn't it have the same header as the person who uploaded it? So if I went online and the person who uploaded the ROM went online, could I get banned?

20. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Scene roms don't have the header.

If you want to use them online, you can dump and then extract a header from an original game. You can use any header for any game, you just have to edit some values in it, to make the game (size etc). There is a tool around here somewhere to do it for you.

Non-scene releases will probably have the header, unless whoever dumped it stripped it intentionally.