Hardware Backlighting a GBA... looking for help/info

Shugs81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys an gals...

I'm trying to fit a what I thought was a type b screen into a 40 pin GBA... the one with the even ribbon cable and the white tab... I've soldered the adaptor cable but the screen doesn't power on... I read that it would appear washed out but I get nothing...

Is there a way to power the screen to test it's working without an sp? I purchased the screen from Ali express....

Does it have to be a brown tabbed screen to work with the 40 pin gba?

Ta peeps!!

adimifus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys an gals...

I'm trying to fit a what I thought was a type b screen into a 40 pin GBA... the one with the even ribbon cable and the white tab... I've soldered the adaptor cable but the screen doesn't power on... I read that it would appear washed out but I get nothing...

Is there a way to power the screen to test it's working without an sp? I purchased the screen from Ali express....

Does it have to be a brown tabbed screen to work with the 40 pin gba?

Ta peeps!!

Make sure the adapter is in the correct way. When I first did this mod to my GBA, I initially installed the adapter upside down. Since there are only contacts on one side of the adapter cable, it shouldn't damage the screen, it'll just not do anything.
Either screen type should work with the adapters, but one type (don't remember which one specifically) needs a wire connecting a couple points on the motherboard to work properly.

Shugs81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cheers for that... I've tried the cable in many ways... It is also soldered to the board...

Guess I'm on the hunt for a screenless sp... would it need to be a backlit model?

adimifus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cheers for that... I've tried the cable in many ways... It is also soldered to the board...

Guess I'm on the hunt for a screenless sp... would it need to be a backlit model?

Yeah. Back-lit screens won't work with the motherboard in a front lit (-001) SP. Where did you get your screen/adapter cable?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs