Discussion Backing up rented/others games and returning them

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by Kibblerz, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kibblerz
    OP

Kibblerz Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2018
    United States
    So right now it sounds like nintendo is targeting specific game certs that are known to be pirated copies. So why not buy games and return them after making a backup? Would this be safe then?

2. YngwieMalmsteen

YngwieMalmsteen Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2018
    United States
    This is what I do. I buy used games, back them up with the certificate and then I break the game cartridge so nobody else will be able to use it, then i return it for full refund hahaha.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I use them on SX OS and online and no ban, have been doing it since SX OS 1.1 so like in June, i'm always online

3. ghjfdtg

ghjfdtg GBAtemp Fan

Jul 13, 2014
    This post is why i lost faith in humanity.

7X-10, Rickyman, Kun_ADR and 13 others like this.
  4. nero99
    This message by nero99 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Aug 10, 2018, Reason: No need for this.
    Aug 10, 2018
  5. Kibblerz
    OP

Kibblerz Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2018
    United States
    Its better than getting banned lmao. Though i wouldnt even worry about someone else using the cartridge . Id just send it back working because from my understanding its the certs that have 100 other people on it that get banned. If you dump the cartridges yourself they wont ban it for 2 people using the same cartridge..atleast i dont think they would

6. DollyWhipDoll

DollyWhipDoll You're on ignore.

May 18, 2018
    United States
    :wtf:OMFG! :creep:

7. aerios169

aerios169 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Mexico
    well you will get banned in some time, anyway the things that youre doing are really really bad. also nity can check if one certificate is used at the same time on 2 switch. then the certificate gets banned and proably the hacked console.

Last edited by aerios169, Aug 10, 2018
  8. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    This is what I do, i just short the cart with a battery and wire.

9. yusuo

yusuo Jam Master Jay

Oct 19, 2006
    United States
    I gotta admit, breaking them is a step too far and a little disingenuous, renting/buying just to copy and return I don't have much issue with and may do myself

xalphax likes this.
  10. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Though the odds are small there is always the minuscule chance that someone will be using that cart while you are online at the same time hence the need for destruction.

11. yusuo

yusuo Jam Master Jay

Oct 19, 2006
    United States
    That's what I have a problem with, need for destruction. Is there a need, ultimately you're stealing someone else's lively hood just so you can play a game illegally online for free. There is no need for that

Last edited by yusuo, Aug 10, 2018
    Mat37 and xalphax like this.
  12. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    I work retail trust me no one is losing any money besides maybe whatever vendor makes the plastic housing for the game carts and that is a very low amount. Anything that gets damaged will be thrown into a baler and will simply get claimed out.

13. yusuo

yusuo Jam Master Jay

Oct 19, 2006
    United States
    That's quite naive, of course someone losses out, whether it be the insurance company, the retailer or Nintendo themselves.
    It's whether they can afford to lose out thats the question, but imagine every selfish, entitled person doing what you're doing, do you not think it would eventually mount up

Last edited by yusuo, Aug 10, 2018
  14. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    lets be real here im a fraction of a fraction of .1% of the switch user base this effects no one.

15. yusuo

yusuo Jam Master Jay

Oct 19, 2006
    United States
    I'm not here to try and preach, I have in the past done similar things I'm just giving my current opinion that this, in itself is wrong

16. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Im morally bankrupt ¯\_(-_-)_/¯

yusuo likes this.
  17. Whole lotta love

Whole lotta love GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2006
    United States
    haha that's fucked that yall have been breaking the carts! I've just been returning them. i feel like the chances of getting cert banned are super low because Nintendo doesn't know who is the rightful owner of the cart.

as long as you're doing it to big corporations you're doing an objectively good thing.

18. SkittleDash

SkittleDash Loading...

GBAtemp Patron
    SkittleDash is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 21, 2015
    Japan
    Planeptune
    Jesus... Piracy is one thing and I'll admit, I do it time to time when I haven't got the cash until I do. But breaking them and returning them for your own selfish needs? Come on, that's just disgusting.

19. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    I would post a picture of pepe rubbing his hands together with a familiar funny looking hat but it would probably get removed with the reasoning being "this is not an image board"

20. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    fixed it

21. YngwieMalmsteen

YngwieMalmsteen Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2018
    United States
    How will they know If I have not gotten ANY error code and technicilly I am using legal backups since june so very unlikely

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.