1. Taleweaver

OP Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Perhaps I should start with "it's not what you think!!!", but I don't think it matters that much.

Here's the thing: I'm hosting a board game evening in a couple weeks. My brother suggested we should have a radio ready, so we can play some background music. At first I wasn't really warmed to the idea because regular radio tend to interrupt commercials with some songs and the news. I get how total silence may turn some off, but I'd rather not have games interrupted because of outside events.

But then I thought: hey...my computer is in our living area as well. Surely there's internet streams out there that play music that's more catering to an afternoon/evening of gaming. More specifically, I was thinking of the following:

-ambient only (aside some gregorian chanting)
    -little to no breaks; at best with tracks crossfading into one another
    -long and hands off approach (basically: I want to set it up and just not touch my PC for the rest of the evening)
    -not too intrusive (it's background music, after all)
    -free of charge

So...video game music checks most if not all of these. Which brings me to my main question: do you know any internet radio streams that fit this criteria? :)
    (youtube channels are also okay, I guess...though I'm afraid these'll be often interrupted by commercials as well :unsure: )

alexander1970 likes this.
  2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    In regards to ads on Youtube, just use an adblocker? I've literally never seen an ad on Youtube in years, I honestly forget it has ads until someone mentions it. Install uBlock Origin extension, never deal with Youtube Ads again.

In regards to music, maybe something like this? < Just chill, relaxing video game music from all sorts of games in one big 3 hour compilation. There are probably thousands of similar things on Youtube, I imagine just searching "Chill ambient music" alone will net you plenty of compilations and such that should fit your needs. I mean, That channel alone has a playlist with 27+hours of chill music like that.

Taleweaver and Hoppy like this.
  3. Taleweaver

OP Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Thanks for the reply, @Tom Bombadildo. But I've got to admit that I've looked elsewhere. Boardgamegeek.Com is a huge as sure, but I managed to find forums and even a similar topic.

There are indeed Playlists, but (for those interested) I've scored two sites that seem perfect for now :
    Melodice.com
    Tabletopaudio.com

The first is the crowdsourced answer : give a bunch of monkeys the chance to upload links to songs for games and you'll end up with all the soundtracks in the world (if not more :P).
    The second one features 10 minute loops of ambient music, free of use and supported by theme.
    So... I'm fine right now. I'll leave the thread open for those who want to contribute, but I got me an answer. :)

4. Boesy

Boesy GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    In general, I just listen to the game's score but if it's a racing game then that's a different story. I'd load a country soundtrack and listen to it while playing Forza.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Background, sessions, music