Back-up software

Reiten

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can anybody suggest me a good, free software to back-up my files on Win7. I need to back-up files to an external HDD. Also it would be good if it had the functionality to do incremental back-ups. It would also be good if it could be run from a USB stick, but that is not absolutely essential.

Thanks for any suggestions.

P.S
Also please don't suggest the default windows back-up tool. I'm mainly asking because that one doesn't work. Long story short the System reserve partition doesn't have enough free space to execute the back-up tool(great work with this Microsoft). Tried a few of the simpler solutions that the inet provided, but none worked. The only thing left to try is to make that partition larger, but I don't feel like messing with that at the moment.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The system reserved partition was never designed for storing system backups, only boot related files like the BCD (it's only 100MB big).

You don't need to create a new partition for Windows backups, just point it where you want it (I do D:\Backups\) and select what you want included in the backups, and if you want it to make a system image (usually updated incrementally afterwards). The only issue I encountered is one day when I discovered the incremental updates were eating up all my drive space.

For paid backup software, there's Acronis. For free software, I recently used AOMEI Backupper for drive cloning. It has backup features too, but I never got to test them.

Reiten

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks I'll check them out.

And I'm not making a back-up on the system reserve partition. Windows needs around 40MB free space there to make some kind of "Shadow copy" before it even starts the back-up process.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill