Back to where it began

Yascooluk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Been a hardcore playstationer for many years. Haven’t owned a Nintendo for over 10 years. Gonna pick up a switch in the coming days with the announcement of being able to run homebrew soon. My last experience was the TT card in a DS.

Reactions: T-hug
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Know that it might still be a while before Switch homebrew can do anything useful. Plus, you won't be able to play games that require firmware past 3.0.0 for a long time. And most things homebrew could do early on can probably be done much, much better by a smartphone or other device. Maybe you might wanna buy a Switch now while it's still somewhat easy to find one with firmware that's 3.0.0 or lower, but know that you won't be able to do much with it for a long while. Piracy is off the table at this point, too, unless you find one with FW 1.0.0.

Yascooluk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for this useful information. I did buy one yesterday and unfortunately it came with fw 3.0.2. So I think I will just get the supported games for now and then see what happens in the future. I won’t update the fw for a while yet just in case something pops up.

Know that it might still be a while before Switch homebrew can do anything useful. Plus, you won't be able to play games that require firmware past 3.0.0 for a long time. And most things homebrew could do early on can probably be done much, much better by a smartphone or other device. Maybe you might wanna buy a Switch now while it's still somewhat easy to find one with firmware that's 3.0.0 or lower, but know that you won't be able to do much with it for a long while. Piracy is off the table at this point, too, unless you find one with FW 1.0.0.

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this useful information. I did buy one yesterday and unfortunately it came with fw 3.0.2. So I think I will just get the supported games for now and then see what happens in the future. I won’t update the fw for a while yet just in case something pops up.
The general consensus around here seems to suggest that you might as well update, as hackers are only considering 3.0.0 at this point. Still, you never do know when something good might come up. At least you'll be able to play a wider array of games if you decide to stay at 3.0.2!
Though if you did buy one just yesterday, you could return it and hunt for one with FW 3.0.0 or lower, if that's something you still want to do. 3.0.0 is the FW to be on if you want homebrew right now.

Oh, and I almost forgot to say -- welcome to the 'Temp! Hope you enjoy it here!

tenor.gif

Yascooluk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks again. I did miss out on the 3ds and wii u homebrew scene so I’m unaware of the timescales involved in creating homebrew for those consoles. I did find this forum handy back in the day when I was on the Dsi scene so I know it will come handy again.

It’s nice to be back.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Exhausted but happy lol