AvalonCode vs Luminous Arc 2 vs Lufia

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by ericling, Jan 3, 2012.

Jan 3, 2012
  1. ericling
    OP

Member ericling GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Malaysia
    Hi everyone, it has been a long time since the last time I picked up my NDS. So, I decided to pick it up again in the year of 2012.

I made some survey and three games made into my final list, AvalonCode, Luminous Arc2 and Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals
    Which one is the best and why?

Aspect that I would like to know,
    a)games puzzles (I don't like games with too much puzzles, I am weak in it :( )
    b)gameplay(I prefer gameplay with more actions)
    c)graphics
    d)storyline
    e)storyline's length (I prefer medium length storyline, I don't usually spend too much time on one game)

To make it simple,I am searching for a RPG, which has these criteria :
    a) Medium length storyline(KH:365/2 days length preferable)
    b) Lot of save points (So we don't need to play for a long time before we can save it)
    c) Full of actions and fast paced.
    d) Doesn't have too many difficult puzzles( I am weak in solving puzzles)

Games on the radar: Zelda, Avalon Code, Lufia, Castlevania.

Thanks before, hope you guys can help me :)

2. Zarcon

Former Staff Zarcon .:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.

Canada
    You'll probably like Lufia (The remake I assume, Rise of the Sinistrals?), Avalon Code, and then Luminous Arc 2 in that order.
    Lufia is faster paced action with a bit of platforming and a few "puzzles"
    Avalon Code is a bit slower paced and the dungeon rooms are all small challenges or puzzles.
    Luminous Arc 2 is a Tactics game like Final Fantasy Tactics.

Story wise...I think I liked Lufia's, then LA2. I don't really remember Avalon Code's too much.
    Length, Lufia is a good length. It doesn't really drag anything out.
    LA2 is long, but that's just the nature of Tactics games.
    Avalon Code is pretty long too if I recall. The pacing gets bogged down the further you go because of the book system and no easy sorting/searching feature.

3. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I haven't gotten that far in any of them, but i can tell you that the Luminous Arc series are all strategy RPG's. Very similar to Final Fantasy Tactics, there's virtually no action. You take turns and move your characters around a grid-based battle field, sort of chess-like. I've beaten the first one a couple of years ago. It involved witches and the plot was pretty silly and corny. Not really my cup of tea, but it wasn't bad i guess.

Lufia and Avalon Code are both action RPG's. Both contain some heavy puzzle elements, varying difficulty. Avalon Code has a lot of strategy involved due to the way you can edit not only your own stats but the stats of people and enemies around you. There's a lot of that, and it can take some thinking sometimes. It's fun, but i never got far in it. The book can get tedious trying to rifle through all the pages. Can't speak much for Lufia, though it's again an action RPG. Puzzle and platforming elements from what little i've seen of it. I won't speak for either of these games' stories though. Lufia is a reboot of an old turn based RPG on the SNES, completely overhauled now.

4. ericling
    OP

Malaysia
    Wow, looks like Luminous Arc will be out from the list.
    Lufia sounds good, anyone can make a comparison between Lufia and Zelda?
    I tried Phantom Hourglass few years ago, don't really like it because the puzzles and the temple stuff bored me. (I am an impatient person, walking through Ocean of Kings temple again and again really pissed me off :( )

5. redfalcon

Member redfalcon GBATemp Member

Germany
    Lufia seemed to be more action-oriented than Zelda to me. Since you mentioned you were impatient: I stopped playing Lufia, since save points were very scarce and you sometimes had to play very long parts of the story to reach one, which defated the purpose of a portable game for me.
    Yes, the temple in Phantom Hourglass wasn't one of the best parts of the game, but if I remember correctly, you could take shortcuts in the earlier parts with the items you found later on, which made it less tedious.

6. ericling
    OP

Malaysia
    Ouch, it's really bad to hear about Lufia's lack of save points there.

So, I am searching for a RPG, which has these criteria :
    a) Medium length storyline(KH:365/2 days length preferable)
    b) Lot of save points (So we don't need to play for a long time before we can save it)
    c) Full of actions and fast paced.
    d) Doesn't have too many difficult puzzles( I am weak in solving puzzles)

7. redfalcon

Member redfalcon GBATemp Member

Germany
    Maybe try Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. Its not exactly an RPG, but a non-linear 2D-Sidescroller with an RPG-like item, stat and magic system. Save points relatively common, and you can use teleporters to quickly travel around the map.

8. MarkDarkness

Member MarkDarkness Deliverator

Poland
    Try Inazuma Eleven. It might look like a kid's football game. It's not. It's a nice RPG that has all the features you are looking for.

Edit: Also, Monster Racers. Freaking awesome and underrated gem.

9. mcr619619

Member mcr619619 GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    the thing with lufia is it's normal enemies are weak, but the bosses are annoying (GADES > CHEAP) also, the lack of savepoints really sucks, the puzzles are not clever, they're mostly annoying ( i finished a lot of puzzles that i think the way i finished it is not the right way)..though they're easy..... but still a great game, you'll love the pace of its battle, it's really fast ARPG..the lenght is also just right, like 15 hours i guess.. though im not amazed in the story

10. suruz

Member suruz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I know this won't be helpful, but... ALL THREE!! I freakin' love both LA2 and Lufia!!

Although for some reason, Avalon Code didn't hold my attention for long. I dunno, the dungeon crawling bits got pretty samey for me... and the controls were kinda clunky for those parts. But a lot of people seem to love that game so idk.

But yeah, if you play games mainly for the story and anime-like feel, then Luminous Arc 1 & 2 are definitely the way to go.
    Lufia also has an alright story, but it's quite cliched (even the characters joke about that at some points)
    Avalon Code.... ehh, I say leave that till last. And it's probably longer than the other two, which is a plus.

Edit: Just an extra point, I kinda agree with you on the length... I kinda prefer games that are medium length/not overly long.. Lufia and LA2 are both a good length in my opnion. Avalon Code- i wouldn't know xD