GCN Av or RGB?

kidpoker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so I just got a broken GameCube a very good price considering the lid was only sticking.
Opened it up did some cleaning and fixed! Happy days!

Now sadly I have to sell the console as I am broke and have to pay the rent! It's a real shame as I have wanted a GC for games I this there is a lot of great games on it and there not to expensive but that's life.

So the console can with a power supply but nothing else as I trade games I looked around and found an AV cable and an RGB Scart as well as a few games and a controller, I think I have a memory card and maybe some more controllers but I will have to go digging around.

I just wanted to make sure the console worked and first so I hooked it up to my every day to which is a flat screen HD TV. Now it doesn't take AV lead (your RCA jacks the red, white and yellow) but it does for some reason take scart so I used an adapter plugged it in and it booted up just fine! :) Then I wanted to see what the difference would be using an RGB Scart cable, well unless I need to get my eyes tested all it did was make the picture a hint brighter?

So I thought was it because I used a scart adapter for the av that made a difference or are these leads much better on CRT's?

Does anyone no more about this topic?

Also, the consoles black not blue, why is that does anyone know?

Julizi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
RGB Scart will give you a much better video quality than AV does. Also RGB Scart is the best video mode for Gamecube games in Europe (excluding component because of its price and compability with PAL-Games).
Using an AV-Cable with SCART adapter won't give you RGB but only a composite signal via SCART.

kidpoker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
RGB Scart will give you a much better video quality than AV does. Also RGB Scart is the best video mode for Gamecube games in Europe (excluding component because of its price and compability with PAL-Games).
Using an AV-Cable with SCART adapter won't give you RGB but only a composite signal via SCART.

But I see next to no difference is this due to the fact I am using a modern tv.
Or could I have been sold a cable where the seller said it was RGB and in not, Will I take a pic?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Spending Saturday evening refreshing myself on screen input methods does not sound like a good time so don't quote me on this but there are slight differences between formats, regions and whatnot and modern TVs don't do a good job of decoding (latency is not the only reason old CRTs are still sought after). A slight brightness bump would be a thing I expect to see, indeed you might have a switch or setting on the TV to change it.

Equally you can pick up a wii for next to nothing these days. Those do GC far better as far as video outputs, and you can get a component output for them.

Julizi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But I see next to no difference is this due to the fact I am using a modern tv.
Or could I have been sold a cable where the seller said it was RGB and in not, Will I take a pic?
Did you buy a third party RGB cable? Those cables often have a quality that is only slightly superior to composite video.
Even on modern TVs you can see the difference between component and RGB the most since the signal has to be upscaled and composite video just looks terrible on them. On older CRTs RGB is still better but composite does not look that terrible than it does on modern TVs.

kidpoker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did you buy a third party RGB cable? Those cables often have a quality that is only slightly superior to composite video.
Even on modern TVs you can see the difference between component and RGB the most since the signal has to be upscaled and composite video just looks terrible on them. On older CRTs RGB is still better but composite does not look that terrible than it does on modern TVs.

Is there an official one?
I got mine from aliexpress, it's got 4 caps and an a resistor inside. Is that right?

It also doesn't work on my SNES (PAL).

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I know a guy who makes native hdmi support for the gcn. It's incredible. I'm on the waiting list for his next batch of cables to be made. I'll give you the link if you are interested.

kidpoker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know a guy who makes native hdmi support for the gcn. It's incredible. I'm on the waiting list for his next batch of cables to be made. I'll give you the link if you are interested.

Sounds great but is my cable RBG or not? LOLZ

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ok, so I just got a broken GameCube a very good price considering the lid was only sticking.

Now sadly I have to sell the console as I am broke and have to pay the rent! It's a real shame as I have wanted a GC for games I this there is a lot of great games on it and there not to expensive but that's life.

So the console can with a power supply but nothing else as I trade games I looked around and found an AV cable and an RGB Scart as well as a few games and a controller, I think I have a memory card and maybe some more controllers but I will have to go digging around.

I just wanted to make sure the console worked and first so I hooked it up to my every day to which is a flat screen HD TV. Now it doesn't take AV lead (your RCA jacks the red, white and yellow) but it does for some reason take scart so I used an adapter plugged it in and it booted up just fine! :) Then I wanted to see what the difference would be using an RGB Scart cable, well unless I need to get my eyes tested all it did was make the picture a hint brighter?

So I thought was it because I used a scart adapter for the av that made a difference or are these leads much better on CRT's?

I'm not aware of an official blue GameCube but the GameCube launched in purple and black (I believe, but maybe black was actually launched after purple), there have been other colors but those are the most common. Purple is of course the signature color of the GameCube but I find it's a bit childish looking.

I'm not sure what compatibility is like with RGB on the GameCube but maybe what you tried didn't actually support RGB and that's why you didn't notice much difference?

Julizi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is there an official one?
I got mine from aliexpress, it's got 4 caps and an a resistor inside. Is that right?

It also doesn't work on my SNES (PAL).
Yes. There is an official RGB cable and you really should use that. Third party cables won't give you a better video quality than composite or just increase it a bit. It is normal for a GCN RGB cable for not to work with a SNES and N64 since you have to change some resistors with capacitors. These guys are experts for Nintendo RGB cables but are German.

I'm not aware of an official blue GameCube but the GameCube launched in purple and black (I believe, but maybe black was actually launched after purple), there have been other colors but those are the most common. Purple is of course the signature color of the GameCube but I find it's a bit childish looking.
There is an official blue Gamecube called NR Reader, but since this is a dev tool it does not boot up retail games (and is very expensive), so I think he means the purple ones.
EDIT: There is also a green/blue Gamecube that came out exclusively in Japan as a Tales of Symphonia bundle.

Last edited by Julizi,

YeezusWalks

STRANGE JOURNEY CHADS RISE UP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. There is an official RGB cable and you really should use that. Third party cables won't give you a better video quality than composite or just increase it a bit. It is normal for a GCN RGB cable for not to work with a SNES and N64 since you have to change some resistors with capacitors. These guys are experts for Nintendo RGB cables but are German.

There is an official blue Gamecube called NR Reader, but since this is a dev tool it does not boot up retail games (and is very expensive), so I think he means the purple ones.
EDIT: There is also a green/blue Gamecube that came out exclusively in Japan as a Tales of Symphonia bundle.
A green gamecube sounds awesome!!!

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No need for av or rgb scart. Use HDMI instead.

https://zzblogs.wixsite.com/home

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am tring to sell the thing in the next few days to make my rent man I don't have money or time.

I don't want to sell something to someone saying it's RGB and it's not, so can anyone tell based on the insides?
I see, my bad then.

Julizi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
GC Video is quite expensive (not much cheaper than a component cable), partially unreliable (previous versions killed some consoles with electrical shorts) and you have to wait very long to get your hands on it, so that I still would recommend an official RGB cable. Since (most) PAL games does not even support 480p you wont even get a better picture quality via HDMI than with RGB.
In my opinion a GC Video is totally not worth it for PAL capable Gamecubes.

Last edited by Julizi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?