Automatic update ?! What happened ?!

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Guantanamo, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Guantanamo
    OP

Guantanamo Member

Newcomer
    Nov 7, 2010
    Macau
    Morocco
    Hi all,

Yesterday night, I was talking with my friend, he informed me that he was surprised that his 3DS sysnand was updated to 10.4 even if he did not accepted it.

The fact is, he was playing a pokemon game, and when he went to sleep, he kept his 3DS on sleep mode for the night, and by morning, he found it updated to 10.4. The 3DS was on emunand 10.3 (with which he was playing) and its sysnand 7.1.

At this point, he did not believe what happened, he assured to me that he never accepted the update, even if he was on emunand.

Is this normal ?! Or should we be careful to this ?! Does nintendo forced update when the 3DS was on sleep mode ?! I decided to report it so people can take caution of this and the professionals can investigate on.

2. Trolling

Trolling This Username is taken. Problem?

Jul 29, 2012
    Netherlands
    Behind you
    10.4? No way your 3DS autoupdated or else it would be 10.5.

3. wurstpistole

wurstpistole N3DS B9S

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    This. 10.4 has been gone for some days now, it's 10.5 now.

GalladeGuy and Shadowfied like this.
  4. Shubshub

Shubshub The Shubinator

Oct 16, 2009
    New Zealand
    The dark part of your house
    Its possible the System Already had 10.4 Cached

5. Plasma Shadow

Plasma Shadow GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform

May 15, 2009
    I have no fucking idea.
    Sleep Mode updates are something we are aware of. All I can say is; tough luck.

6. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    I thought only the Wii U does this.

7. squee666

squee666 Advanced Tech Pleb

Sep 17, 2010
    Belfast
    it does
    i have never seen anyones 3DS update in sleep mode, also considering the fact he would have had the 3DS in Emunand Sleep mode its an even taller tale, mines been prompting me to update forever even when it sleeps but it ONLY ASKS once i take it out of sleep then you just hit no.

If anything his emunand should have updated even if this was plausible

Unless the magically faeries have tampered with your friends 3DS while he slept i'm calling shenanigans

Last edited by squee666, Jan 29, 2016
    wormdood and SomeGamer like this.
  8. mammastuffing

mammastuffing GBAtemp Regular

Aug 7, 2015
    But even if his sysNand was updated, doesn't he have a nand backup? Can't he just use a hard mod and restore it?

9. TrashyClassy

TrashyClassy Professional Shitposter

Sep 26, 2015
    Malaysia
    Planeptune
    why would he leave it to sleep mode?

10. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    he or someone else in his household hit a and updated hopefully just his emunand, probably days ago already.
    there is no auto updating. it specifically requires user input since low battery could screw up an update and nintendo doesnt risk that

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

why not? as long as its just emunand, who cares

11. Guantanamo
    OP

Guantanamo Member

Newcomer
    Nov 7, 2010
    Macau
    Morocco
    None touched his 3DS, as he was alone in the house. And there is no risk that he updated sysnand, as he use exclusively emunand, and in that situation, he was playing on it, he kept the game ON and he kept the 3DS on sleep mode just for the night.

That's what he was asking himself, why 10.4 when 10.5 was already there if he had accepted the update, what he didn't of course.

Hmmm, that's can have some sense. But, even if he was always prompted for update by the system, he never accepted it. So, when this update has been cached ?! I asked him many times and he assured to me that HE NEVER ACCEPTED ANY UPDATE since 10.3 on emunand, keeping his sysnand as it was on 7.1.

He have a nand backup I think, but I don't know if he can do a hardmod restore. I will ask him about that. I need just to be sure to know if it's possible restoring nand backup from 10.4 to something else with that hardmod.

Last edited by Guantanamo, Jan 29, 2016
  12. wurstpistole

wurstpistole N3DS B9S

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Sleep mode updates a thing now? Hmm.
    That's why I advise people in my tutorial to set fake internet connections in SysNAND so that can in no way ever happen to SysNAND.

TR_mahmutpek and Shubshub like this.
  13. mammastuffing

mammastuffing GBAtemp Regular

Aug 7, 2015
    May I ask just what a fake internet connection is?

14. MsMidnight

MsMidnight part time fe modder

Oct 12, 2015
    kys
    why 10.3, restore the nand from 7.1

15. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    following this line of thought its still very likely he hit "A" instead of "B" when he woke up and is too ashamed/embarrassed to admit it (or he did it before fully acclimated to the new day and does not know if he was still dreaming . . . lol)

Quantumcat and MsMidnight like this.
  16. wurstpistole

wurstpistole N3DS B9S

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Thing is, if you do not set up any internet connection in sysnand, but then setup a working one in emunand, it will be copied over to sysnand. I don't know why, but that's how it is.
    So solution is to set up three fake connections in Sysnand (just click manual setup and enter a fantasy SSID and password), then go to emunand and change the first one to a working connection. This way the fakes will stay in Sysnand, so Sysnand won't be able to get online at all.

You can of course also use TubeHAX DNS or go the violent route and just block access to eShop/Updates entirely in your router.

17. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    It automatically downloads updates in sleep mode, yes, but it shouldn't ever INSTALL them. If it did, we'd probably have heard about it earlier.

18. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    he means a dns spoof so the sysnand never communicates with nintendo servers

edit: would have also been an option
    tubehax dns or some other

Last edited by wormdood, Jan 29, 2016
  19. Patxinco

Patxinco Riding a Shooting Star

Apr 18, 2011
    My 3DS has been in sleep mode for 2 days now, connected to internet, and having the update downloaded and prompting me to update...

Just checked, and it's still 9.2, if you want to prevent accidental update, shut down the console in a folder, never prompted me to update being in a folder at start.

20. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    That is only true if the Sysnand and emunand are linked. If they are not linked the Internet connection is not copied over from the emunand to sysnand. I know this because I have that very setup