Auto load a specific game from SD at boot?

srgilbert1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: This can be marked SOLVED now. Thanks.

Hello all, I'm new here but not new to console modding or computers but I have a couple of questions about a special use case.

My wife and I use a standard Wii almost solely for the purpose of WiiFit Plus and I'm looking for a way to quickly and simply boot it up from SD when powering it on, skipping all the menus and such, and I'm SO CLOSE but not quite there and need to figure out what I'm missing.

So far I'm able to do one of two things: I can boot up to the DVD and that works fine but seems really slow, maybe even slower than just the normal non-modded method, or I'm able to boot to the "Start Button" screen of the game from SD card, but not loading the game directly.

I'll try to layout what I've done so far

To run from WBFS on SD card:

Installed HBC with the Letterbomb exploit.
Installed Bootmi and did NAND backup
Installed Priiloader and turned on the auto-press A at boot
Installed d2x cIOS Installer and installed the required files.
Installed Homebrew Browser
Installed WiiIFlow to be able to run games from SD card (could not figure out how to get USB Loader GX to do this.)
Loaded WBFS folder and file on SD card.
Used WiiGSC on PC to create a WAD file of the game and saved it to the SD card.
Installed Wii Mod Lite and used it to add the WAD to the home screen.
Used PriiLoader to "install" the WAD and changed the boot up to "INSTALLED."

This all works to a point, but on boot I'm greeted with the Wii Flow box cover for the game which I still have to select and hit START to run it.

My second option is running it from the disc in the drive:

Installed HBC with the Letterbomb exploit.
Installed Bootmi and did NAND backup
Installed Priiloader and turned on the auto-press A at boot
Installed d2x cIOS Installer and installed the required files.
Installed Homebrew Browser
Installed MinimalLauncher which will simply auto boot any disc in the drive.
Used PriiLoader to install MinimaLauncher and run the disc on bootup.

Now, this actually DOES work, it will (eventually) boot into the "be careful where you are swinging the Wiimote" screen. If you press A it will clear through it, but will clear after about 20 seconds on it's own. Right now with this setup it takes roughly 30 seconds to get from power on to warning screen, which isn't terrible but I feel could be better from SD. I'd also like to reduce the wear on the DVD-drive if I can.

So, what can I do to setup #1 that will allow me to boot directly into the game from SD without having to hit the start button to load it?

Thanks

Last edited by srgilbert1,

srgilbert1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am thinking create a forwarder to run wiiflow with parameters for auto load the game, then configure priiloader to load that title (the forwarder) at start.
That's actually what I tried in the first setup. I used WiiCSG to create a "shortcut" (that's the same as forwarder isn't it?) But I didn't know there was a way to create one with special parameters. Can you elaborate?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I don't remember out my mind just now, but there is a pair of threads here on gbatemp about creating wii forwarders, and yes the forwarders are "shortcuts" to run other programs but are installed as wii native titles.

Reactions: srgilbert1

srgilbert1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I've since tried moving the game to a USB thumb drive in order to use USB Loader GX and added a WAD to start from the main Wii homescreen but now I can't figure out how I created a file that Priiloader could see.

srgilbert1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'm just confused. I was confusing WAD forwarder files with DOL files. Priiloader only sees the DOL files, right? I was having Priiloader load up WiiFlow on boot, but since I only had the one game on the drive, it obviously goes right to that so it has nothing to do with the forwarder I created.

So, is there a way to make Priiloader install and run a WAD forwarder or something that would accomplish the same function?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I'm not sure I'm following what you're saying (might be my fault, I'm rushing a bit).

Anyway, build a system menu channel with wgsc, make a note of its 4 digit title ID, install it, confirm it working

Then download and install modmii, start modmii classic, then enter A for advanced downloads, and F for forwarder dol, then build a forwarder dol that points to the 4 digit title ID noted above, then install that dol as file in priiloader, and adjust priiloader's autoboot setting to start the install file at boot

srgilbert1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure I'm following what you're saying (might be my fault, I'm rushing a bit).

Anyway, build a system menu channel with wgsc, make a note of its 4 digit title ID, install it, confirm it working

Then download and install modmii, start modmii classic, then enter A for advanced downloads, and F for forwarder dol, then build a forwarder dol that points to the 4 digit title ID noted above, then install that dol as file in priiloader, and adjust priiloader's autoboot setting to start the install file at boot
Thanks, I'm running ModMii but it gets confusing really quick. I made it to the part where there's a big list of IOS files and I don't know what to do here.

srgilbert1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the main menu, enter A, then F

This was stated above as well
Thanks, I figured it out! I was a couple steps past that actually. When it showed all those IOS files I got confused but all I needed to do was to download it at that point. The only other sticking point and maybe I missed it is I couldn't get the DOL file it generated to work as is because of the name it gave it. I had to create a folder in my APPS folder, named it the WiiFitPlusChannel and renamed the file to boot.dol and that worked perfectly. Installing it and loading it in Priiloader does exactly what I wanted.

Thanks again!

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
If you save it to the root of the sd priiloader will allow you to select those as well, but amazing that you figured out a different solution on your own. Sorry if my last msg was a little short, it's chaos in my household at the moment, didn't mean to take it out on you, anyways, again I'm super happy you got it working!

srgilbert1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you save it to the root of the sd priiloader will allow you to select those as well, but amazing that you figured out a different solution on your own. Sorry if my last msg was a little short, it's chaos in my household at the moment, didn't mean to take it out on you, anyways, again I'm super happy you got it working!
I thought I tried that first but maybe not? I think I saved in the APPS folder and I know for a fact that the HBC didn't see it until I renamed it. Anyway, I appreciate the help! I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

Thanks

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
The dol only needs to be seen/installed by priiloader, which can detect dols from a few different locations. But yes, the hbc needs it as you described, so if u want to load the system menu channel from the hbc then that would be needed, anyway it doesn't hurt anything if it's there unnecessarily so all good regardless

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c